Phoenix canariensis Hardiness Rating (Unprotected) ?

greendragon

Phoenix canariensis Hardiness Rating (Unprotected) ?

Post by greendragon »

I saw DB's topic and I thought it would be interesting to see what people think using the same template for a Phoenix canariensis.

Here is the template David has for a Skyduster, how would this need to be adjusted to be accurate for a Phoenix canariensis?(In my opinion it looks like this would actually be quite accurate for a Phoenix canariensisas well). :lol:

Phoenix canariensis 170/190cm tall

Leaves above -3C icon_thumleft
Leaves -3C to-5C :|
Leaves below -5C icon_thumbdown
Palm above -5C icon_thumright
Palm -5C to -8C :|
Palm below -8C icon_thumbdown

Quote it then adjust the temperatures as you see fit.
Last edited by greendragon on Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conifers

Re: Phoenix Canariensis Hardiness Rating (Unprotected) ?

Post by Conifers »

Seems about right to me. When you say "170/190cm tall", do you mean height to bud (170/190cm trunk) or height to the leaf tips?

Lower case 'c' in canariensis :wink:
greendragon

Re: Phoenix Canariensis Hardiness Rating (Unprotected) ?

Post by greendragon »

Conifers wrote:Seems about right to me. When you say "170/190cm tall", do you mean height to bud (170/190cm trunk) or height to the leaf tips?

Lower case 'c' in canariensis :wink:
I meant the height at the tips of the leaves, I went by that size because it's the one I just recieved and planted yesterday from Palm Centre at the bargain price of £38! If you ever wanted a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP get one off Palm Centre now lol.

The danger zone is going to be Novermber to the middle of March it seems, I will be wrapping and using heat cables upon the first forecasted -3 of Winter. The lowest temperature in my area in recent history was -8*c in December 2010.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Phoenix canariensis Hardiness Rating (Unprotected) ?

Post by Dave Brown »

You can't go by height as a 2 year seedling could be 2m tall if grown dull warm conditions, but will only have a 5cm caudex. Also much more relevant to this palm's survival is daytime max, and winter sun.

Temps of ranging from +2C by day to -2/-5C by night, for 10 days, without sun killed one of mine with a 20cm caudex. A neighbour's (across the road) had one about the same size but in full sun, and it survived with little damage.

the Key to survival is sun icon_sunny sun icon_sunny sun icon_sunny
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by greendragon »

the caudex is very thick on the one I got from Palm Centre, at Winter solstice only the leaves will get the sun, the base of the plant will be in shade, It's worrying but I already gave the best spots in my garden to a pair of chamaerops and a butia. I will use heating cables on the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP anyway.
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Hey everyone, this may be an old topic but never the less, my small canary island date palm survived temps down to -6C last winter here in doncaster and it was not protected all winter, in fact it endured the worst of the snow unprotected as i was caught off guard. So my rating from my small experience is -6C.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

doncasterpalmguy123 wrote:Hey everyone, this may be an old topic but never the less, my small canary island date palm survived temps down to -6C last winter here in doncaster and it was not protected all winter, in fact it endured the worst of the snow unprotected as i was caught off guard. So my rating from my small experience is -6C.
How small are you calling small. icon_scratch icon_thumright
billdango

Post by billdango »

The large one down here in Southampton in the front garden in St denys Has got through every winter okay because as I stated in other posts I always tie up the center leaves at least when it goes below -3c.

If colder nights are forecast I always then place a hot water bottle as close as possible to the growing point.

Even when that bottle gets cold by dawn its still prevents build up of ice or snow at that delicate place.

This at least should prevent the total collapse of all the new emerging leaves in the spring.

As it rarely goes below -6c in Southampton in any winter [2010 -6.9c on 2 nights] I don't have to do this all that often.

The one in St denys now has reached 15 feet in height and spread and i will have to trim off some of the lower leaves before tying this winter.

Most of the other CIDPs near the waterfront do not ever seem to need any protection as it hardly ever dips below freezing there in any winter?

billdango :D
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Mine has a 20cm Caudex and will be in the ground for its second winter this year. It's in a protected southern facing area 6ft from the house.

Last year, when it was going to go below freezing, I loosely tied the fronds up to protect the growth point. When it was due to go below -2 and possible snow I stuffed some fleece in the crown and pegged an old curtain around it....seemed to do the trick.

I purposely don't trim any older fronds after spring so that they can help protect the growth point if I need to tie up in the winter.
eddie

Post by eddie »

Some individual phoenix must be hardier, there is a big one here in a village at the country side

https://maps.google.nl/maps?q=honselers ... 52,,0,6.98>

The google maps pic is 4 years old. Trunk of the palm hits the top of the conservatory roof by now.
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
doncasterpalmguy123

My palm is nay a young one id say between 6- 10 years old but i cannot be sure, its fronds (leaves) reach to about knee level if that helps. I hope its a hardy strain because we received -14 in 2010 up here. :D
doncasterpalmguy123

jungle jas wrote:How small are you calling small. icon_scratch icon_thumright
Sorry i took so long. The tallest point of the tallest frond of my palm is about the height of my upper leg. It only has a small base so not that big. Can post a pic if you want but i know I've taken a while to reply, sorry. :lol:
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

:lol: :lol: :lol: No problem, at least you answered. icon_thumright Yeh a picture would be good if you have the time! Meanwhile happy Christmas and New Year. icon_thumright :lol: I bet its a bit bigger now. :roll:
doncasterpalmguy123

Yeah, its a few fronds bigger now. It gets a bit of leaf browning in winter. No damage this year as of yet as its a mild one. Anyway this is the most recent pic of it in autumn, its all wrapped up now. :lol:

Theres some vids on my youtube channel also if you fancy seeing it in motion picture.
Attachments
Phoenix canariensis_CIDP Doncaster.
Phoenix canariensis_CIDP Doncaster.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I have lost loads over the years, I think its great this winter so far.