A little advice for my new Cycad

ourarka

A little advice for my new Cycad

Post by ourarka »

I have wanted to get a Cycad for a long time but the high price put me off. I decided to get a little one in a sale today and just wanted some advice. Firstly, would one this small survive in the ground and, if not, what are general tips on keeping it. It would be in a conservatory I think.
Attachments
IMG_0069.JPG
Kerinsian

Re: A little advice for my new Cycad

Post by Kerinsian »

Mine lived for 7 years in the conservatory quite happily. It's not heated but hasn't got proper double glazed doors into it from the house so I guess it got some heat from the house although it felt very cold in there... I used to water it sparingly if at all during winter, and gave it more in summer according to how quickly it dried out.

Your main problem if you keep it in the conservatory is going to be finding a place to put it where it won't scorch.. There are pictures of mine in my first posts when I joined which had just that damage. Mine also started leaning towards the light eventually even though it was getting enough to burn. They do seem to be pretty tough plants as well as being rather lovely, I'm glad you found one to buy yourself icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

It looks a very nice Cycad,

If possible don't leave it out in winter, fronds tend to go yellow.

icon_cheers
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Thanks guys. I think if it can't be outside all year it will stay in the consevatory. Fortunately, although my conservatory is very bright, there is not much direct sunlight so hopefully it won't get scorched. I presume keep it well watered in spring/summer ..... what about feeding?
kata

Post by kata »

I bought a tub of fertilizer from Nigel,

http://www.hardy-palms.co.uk/category.asp?section=15

The bottled Palm Focus is also for palms in pots.
multim

Post by multim »

I bought one of similar size some 12-15 years ago. It spent Summer in the garden and Winter in an unheated greenhouse.
This is pretty normal practice for Cycads grown in the UK.
6 years ago I thought 'okay little guy, let's give you a try planted outside against a south facing wall'. And guess what? It does fine! It has even thrown 3 'pups' since being out in the great outdoors.
The only protection I give it is to throw a blanket over it when it gets really cold. Sometimes annoyingly, the wind will lift the blanket to expose some of the leaves - this will turn the exposed leaves to straw. But as a bonus, the Cycad will flush each year, usually the 2nd week of June.
Attachments
P1010034.JPG
kata

Post by kata »

this will turn the exposed leaves to straw.
Thats the only thing I don't like about Cycads..the yellowing. Mine eventually pulled so I recycled it last year. I am more into Trachicarpus these days.

I have one Cycad which Redsquirrel gave me which is sprouting from around the caudex, about four...they made a small headway over winter.

icon_cheers