AN EXOTIC GARDEN IN SOUTHAMPTON,UK.

HarryandNess

Re: AN EXOTIC GARDEN IN SOUTHAMPTON,UK.

Post by HarryandNess »

Fabulous garden Bill. :D :D :D I've never seen so many tall palms in one private garden. A labour of love for you over the years I'm sure. Thanks for sharing icon_sunny

Ness
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Thanks for sharing Bill, unfortunately I doubt I shall live long enough to see mine mature like that unless I go in for Cryogenics. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: icon_thumright
pdid

Post by pdid »

Cracking stuff Bill, hopefully my garden will emulate yours in 30 years!
billdango

Post by billdango »

Anyone can plant a garden like mine but the problem is that most people don't stay in the same house for long enough.

Everyone these days just keep moving around all the time so what happens then is that any one who plants an exotic garden either has to dig everything up or just leave it all there.

And we all know what happens when new owners move in don't we?

rgds billdango :(
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Super-fantastic icon_salut Great vid. icon_thumleft

I bet that ivy can be a pain to control, climbing the large specimen plants......
billdango

Post by billdango »

pdid wrote:Cracking stuff Bill, hopefully my garden will emulate yours in 30 years!
Believe me pdid those 30 years will soon pass.

I am speaking from personal expierience as when you grow exotics 30 years seem like 30 days.

When I look at pictures of myself back in 1976 when I planted that first T Fortuni I still had a decent head of hair?

Can't believe how the exotic bug took over my life but its so far been a great journey full of excitement.

I would recommend it to anybody who is willing to go the lifelong distance.

rgds billdango icon_thumleft
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Bill, I had no idea you were such a veteran of the hobby, they must have been there 30 years those trachys, absolutely awesome.
billdango

Post by billdango »

Its hard to believe when looking back over the years that it was only a visit to France got me interested in exotics.

At the time there were only a few palms in Southampton and no local nursery sold them so I had to buy a few little ones from Bill Spinx at the PalmCenter on Humberside.

I bet he would love to see them now?

Now Southampton is full of exotics like Palms and Banana plants thanks to me of coarse :D

Things can only get better?

rgds billdango icon_cheers
cai williams

Post by cai williams »

you haven't held back, have you. icon_salut icon_salut
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I just found this thread and Bill your garden is fantastic!.. It gives me a wonderful model to work from. Your very right about people moving. I told my wife a long time ago. When I go the plants go even if I have to rent equipment to dig them up. there not just plants there investments. If I didn't have such horrible neighbors Id stay where I am for good but they get worse by the day so maybe 1 more move and im staying put. Thanks so much for the video it was very inspireing
billdango

Post by billdango »

miketropic wrote:I just found this thread and Bill your garden is fantastic!.. It gives me a wonderful model to work from. Your very right about people moving. I told my wife a long time ago. When I go the plants go even if I have to rent equipment to dig them up. there not just plants there investments. If I didn't have such horrible neighbors Id stay where I am for good but they get worse by the day so maybe 1 more move and im staying put. Thanks so much for the video it was very inspireing
Shame to hear about your neighbours as I had the same problem as well.

Now the house next door to me is up for let again so it won't get any better in the future.

The best thing for you to do Mike is to grow your palms in large pots for now and not plant them in the ground till you get settled in a nice house with a garden somewhere.

Exotic gardening is hopeless if you have to keep moving every few years.

When you dig up palm trees its always touch and go if they will survive so its best not to chance it in the first place.

Anyway good luck in the future with your gardening Mike and keep us posted?

rgds billdango icon_thumleft
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Well done Bill. 8)

I missed it back in september somehow, but glad I caught it 2nd time round.
icon_salut
Fantastic!!!
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I beleive I will do as Bill did and buy a palm each year and plant. that way they will all be at differant levels and I can watch the growth as I age
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I'd have to part with some massive five-figured sum to purchase all my mature palms at their current sizes. So, I agree with you, Bill, watching my collection mature since 1985 rates a much more satisfying exercise.

However, thank goodness for bananas and bamboos icon_cheers
Matcycas7

Post by Matcycas7 »

Billdango, what more can I say than a wonderland.