just got new palms any advice

miketropic

just got new palms any advice

Post by miketropic »

Not alot of experience with palms although I think they all look wonderful. Got these from Brain williams father. most of them are jelly palms and the one is a sabal minor I THINK. I also got some more jelly palm seeds I am going to try to get going soon.. any advice from someone who has grown these out. anything special I need to look into doing to get them going well

Tom2006

Re: just got new palms any advice

Post by Tom2006 »

What are your winters like? I would be keeping them as they are in a nice warm sheltered spot over winter.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Ditto to Tom - probably best to keep them frost-free for this winter, and protect them from anything below about -5° next winter. Sabal minor is a lot hardier (to about -15° when mature) than Butia (to about -8° when mature).
kata

Post by kata »

What about the kitchen window bottom,

icon_study
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

the winters can get pretty nasty 0F or below with snow and ice but last winter I don't think it ever got past 20F so we will have to see. there all inside right now in the greenroom and will be for this winter but I like to leave as much as I can outside if it will survive. I also have some seeds for both I need to try and get going. thanks everyone
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

I am growing both of these palms as seedlings at the moment.I have read (probably on here) that although hardy,the sabal likes high temps to get it growing,so i have left mine in the greenhouse all summer to speed it up a bit!(it has still grown slowly,but we have had a lousy summer this year icon_thumbdown ).