Slightly rotted cordyline

Steady

Slightly rotted cordyline

Post by Steady »

Hi everyone,
Out in the garden today getting things sorted for winter and noticed that the new growth from one of my larger cordylines was a bit brown , on inspection found it was very wet with some pink mould. Not sure how to overwinter as already looks bit like its had some frost damage! Any advice would be much appreciated as don't want to lose it if possible......
Tom2006

Re: Slightly rotted cordyline

Post by Tom2006 »

What setting is it in?....in ground, what aspect etc?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Unlikely to be frost damage from this winter, but if was out over last winter (Feb Freeze) it may have sustained damage which this wet year has allowed rot to progress. If it is rotting you will need to cut back below the rot, but really this time of year is not ideal if planted out. If potted cut back to solid material and put somewhere dry and protected. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Steady »

Tom2006 wrote:What setting is it in?....in ground, what aspect etc?
Hi Tom, Cordyline is in the ground in a sheltered spot near a wall, always gets plenty is of sun (maybe not this year!) as we had a lot of rain it hasn't really been watered much. My soil is fairly well drained bit puzzled?
Steady

Post by Steady »

Dave Brown wrote:Unlikely to be frost damage from this winter, but if was out over last winter (Feb Freeze) it may have sustained damage which this wet year has allowed rot to progress. If it is rotting you will need to cut back below the rot, but really this time of year is not ideal if planted out. If potted cut back to solid material and put somewhere dry and protected. :wink:
Hi Dave,
Seeing your garden in full bloom was what drew me to the website, hoping mine will be up to standard one day!
Sounds like ill just have to wait and see how the winter goes as the cordys in the ground, would you recommend tying up from frost or would this help more rot?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Sounds like a good spot for it. I wouldn't tie it up unless it gets very cold and even then unwrap as soon as the cold passes to allow for air to circulate.

Like Dave says, if it is rotting, then the only option might be to cut it back to the good growth, but I would give it some time. I wonder if green sulphur around the problem area might help?...anyone?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
kata

Post by kata »

I was in the kitchen one cold frosty morning 2010,

Gazing, day dreamin of Spring when....

.....I actually saw my red Cordyline fall over; really weird, it was like watching one of Kris's videos in slow motion.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Steady

Post by Steady »

Tom2006 wrote:Sounds like a good spot for it. I wouldn't tie it up unless it gets very cold and even then unwrap as soon as the cold passes to allow for air to circulate.

Like Dave says, if it is rotting, then the only option might be to cut it back to the good growth, but I would give it some time. I wonder if green sulphur around the problem area might help?...anyone?
Might try that if we get a dry spell,might not see too many of those in the near future !!
Steady

Post by Steady »

kata wrote:I was in the kitchen one cold frosty morning 2010,

Gazing, day dreamin of Spring when....

.....I actually saw my red Cordyline fall over; really weird, it was like watching one of Kris's videos in slow motion

Could be a new video for 2013, will keep watch out of my kitchen window......

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
kata

Post by kata »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: