how reliable is the information

miketropic

how reliable is the information

Post by miketropic »

I was looking at rare palms seeds website thinking of ordering some stuff and the more I looked the more palms its seemed I could grow. they have alot of palms rated to 0f and some in the negatives that I was under the impression were not that hardy. how reliable does everyone think this information is. I am guessing this would be for an established palm but still even then I didn't think they could take temps like that. It says Jubaea chilensis can go down to 3F with no damage which I find hard to believe. Just wondering what everyone thoughts were on this
Conifers

Re: how reliable is the information

Post by Conifers »

No idea, they're using an incomprehensible temperature measurement system icon_thumbdown
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Very unreliable is the answer.

Minimum temperature is only 1 small piece of the overall climate/hardiness picture. -10 for half an hour during one night of the year in an extremely dry desert is definitely not the same as -10 for 2 weeks in soaking wet soil in the UK (I think you've a similar climate to us) with next to no sunlight for 3 months.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

miketropic wrote:I was looking at rare palms seeds website thinking of ordering some stuff and the more I looked the more palms its seemed I could grow. they have alot of palms rated to 0f and some in the negatives that I was under the impression were not that hardy. how reliable does everyone think this information is. I am guessing this would be for an established palm but still even then I didn't think they could take temps like that. It says Jubaea chilensis can go down to 3F with no damage which I find hard to believe. Just wondering what everyone thoughts were on this
I agree with Vag. Also most advise given by a lot of nurseries is suspect to say the least! They do not want to loose a sale. :ahhh!: Best advise I can give is look round to see what is being grown in your vicinity you should be able to grow it as well. icon_thumright
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

well thats the thing the other garden people around me are I guess I would call it simple..rose bushs, perennials you know nothing out of the ordinary, then my yards got bananas and palms and bamboo all over :lol: . Im the "strange guy" around here. the only things I know will make it here are needle palms, fortuni, sabal minor, and I have seen a waggie and a washy but they get protected well. I guess thats about my limits in this climate. really bothers me they would put that on there knowing 9 out of 10 people will buy it and expect it to make it and when it dies just blame themselves and not the nursery.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

What sort of winter lows do you get there, also what are the summer highs? Do you have lots of rain in the winter?
Last edited by jungle jas on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

summer lows over the last 5 years have been about -7 to -9C and the highs are around 38 to 40C for a few months. not much rain snow every once in awhile. the rain comes in around april very heavy
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

miketropic wrote:summer lows over the last 5 years have been about -7 to -9C and the highs are around 38 to 40C for a few months. not much rain snow every once in awhile. the rain comes in around april very heavy
You should be able to grow your Jubaea there. icon_thumright