Palms and other tropicals for northern england

Adam r
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:05 pm
Location: Sunderland

Palms and other tropicals for northern england

Post by Adam r » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:12 pm

Hi

I am fairly new to tropical gardening and I was wondering what people have been able to grow with or without winter protection in northern England, especially the north east. Has anyone in the northeast managed to grow Phoenix canariensis_CIDP or washingtonia for more than one season outdoors and what protection was used?


User avatar
billdango
Posts: 2854
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:12 am
Location: southampton

Re: Palms and other tropicals for northern england

Post by billdango » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:05 pm

Hello Adamr.

I can't really answer your question about what grows in the north east of the UK but there are some forum members who live in your part of the world who I am sure will give you all the assistance you will need.

What you can grow there will be grown under different conditions then on the south coast.

rgds billdango icon_thumleft


Conifers
Posts: 13147
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Northumbs

Re: Palms and other tropicals for northern england

Post by Conifers » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Phoenix canariensis was doing fine in a Newcastle front garden for several years, until the 2009-10 and 2010-11 winters hit. The first knocked them back badly, and the second put an end to them.

July 2009:
Phoenix_canariensis_Newcastle3.jpg


Trudytropics
Posts: 8672
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:23 pm
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

Re: Palms and other tropicals for northern england

Post by Trudytropics » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:22 am

Hi Adam I'm in Newcastle, in my garden I have:-

3 - Trachycarpus Fortuneii
4 - Chamearops humilis
4 - Phoenix canariensis
5 - Fatsias, including variagated and polycarpa
3 - Cordylines, Torbay dazzler and plain green one :?
1 - Miscanthus zebrinus
3 - phormiums
1 - Dasylirion
2 - Brunnera Jack frost
Various hostas and a few other things i've forgotten. Plus a lot of bamboo, 3 different species. T rex also

My garden is relatively new, 2 years old. So far I have had minimum damage, the phoenix were protected last year in a polytunnnel as they are in pots. A few other things were dragged under cover too. However last winter was a mild one, so not a true test. This winter the phoenix are all outside, they will get protection in the very worst weather, as will some other stuff. This may be a more testing winter, if the phoenix die, I'll replace with something hardier, perhaps more trachycarpus which are well suited to the North East.
"Spring is the time of plans and projects"......Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina.


User avatar
MikeC
Posts: 1491
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:12 pm
Location: Swindon

Re: Palms and other tropicals for northern england

Post by MikeC » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:08 pm

Conifers wrote:Phoenix canariensis was doing fine in a Newcastle front garden for several years, until the 2009-10 and 2010-11 winters hit. The first knocked them back badly, and the second put an end to them.

July 2009:
Phoenix_canariensis_Newcastle3.jpg
Worth another go up there, even if you only get 5 or 10 years before another killer winter comes along. And Phoenix canariensis_CIDP are cheap enough in a sale to try.

icon_thumleft


Adam r
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:05 pm
Location: Sunderland

Re: Palms and other tropicals for northern england

Post by Adam r » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:28 pm

Conifers wrote:Phoenix canariensis was doing fine in a Newcastle front garden for several years, until the 2009-10 and 2010-11 winters hit. The first knocked them back badly, and the second put an end to them.

July 2009:
Phoenix_canariensis_Newcastle3.jpg

Do you know if it was given any sort of winter protection or left to fend for itself?


Conifers
Posts: 13147
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Northumbs

Re: Palms and other tropicals for northern england

Post by Conifers » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:09 pm

Adam r wrote:Do you know if it was given any sort of winter protection or left to fend for itself?
No protection at all, other than its situation (south-facing, right in front of a 3-storey house).


Adam r
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:05 pm
Location: Sunderland

Re: Palms and other tropicals for northern england

Post by Adam r » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:05 pm

Trudytropics wrote:Hi Adam I'm in Newcastle, in my garden I have:-

3 - Trachycarpus Fortuneii
4 - Chamearops humilis
4 - Phoenix canariensis
5 - Fatsias, including variagated and polycarpa
3 - Cordylines, Torbay dazzler and plain green one :?
1 - Miscanthus zebrinus
3 - phormiums
1 - Dasylirion
2 - Brunnera Jack frost
Various hostas and a few other things i've forgotten. Plus a lot of bamboo, 3 different species. T rex also

My garden is relatively new, 2 years old. So far I have had minimum damage, the phoenix were protected last year in a polytunnnel as they are in pots. A few other things were dragged under cover too. However last winter was a mild one, so not a true test. This winter the phoenix are all outside, they will get protection in the very worst weather, as will some other stuff. This may be a more testing winter, if the phoenix die, I'll replace with something hardier, perhaps more trachycarpus which are well suited to the North East.

I have

3 trachycarpus fortunei in the ground with no protection
1 baby strap leaf butia capitata in house for winter
1 baby strap leaf butyagrus in house
1 washingtonia filibusta seedling in house
3 washingtonia robusta seedlings in house
1 2ft tall robusta in the house with about 8 inches of trunk

I also have the following In a cheap plastic greenhouse
1 Phoenix canariensis_CIDP planted in the ground about 5' tall £10 morrisons
2 small washingtonia robusta with their pots sunk just as an experiment to see if they live. If they do I can give the bigger one the same treatment.
2 trachycarpus nainital with their pots sunk. They are only about 6 inches tall but have adult leaves.
1 butia eriospatha with split leaves

I started collecting them about April this year and was only going to buy trachycarpus because they can survive our harshest winters without protection but I caught the bug and started buying all sorts. I only bought the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP because it was only £10 and very big for the price, it hasn't grown at all since April so I hope it's been growing roots and settling in, I just hope it survives and ill see if it grows next year.


Adam r
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:05 pm
Location: Sunderland

Re: Palms and other tropicals for northern england

Post by Adam r » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:50 pm

Conifers wrote:
Adam r wrote:Do you know if it was given any sort of winter protection or left to fend for itself?
No protection at all, other than its situation (south-facing, right in front of a 3-storey house).

It sounds promising then with a bit of protection I may be able to keep mine for a few years but I need to get through this winter first. Newcastle is further inland, sunderland is on the coast so should be a little bit warmer in winter even if only a couple of degrees.


User avatar
The Codfather
Posts: 6436
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:02 pm
Location: Darlington, C.O. Durham

Re: Palms and other tropicals for northern england

Post by The Codfather » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:57 pm

I pot plundge mine.....and its in the garage now. I will have to start thinking for the future as its getting to big\heavy.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !


Adam r
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:05 pm
Location: Sunderland

Re: Palms and other tropicals for northern england

Post by Adam r » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:48 am

The Codfather wrote:I pot plundge mine.....and its in the garage now. I will have to start thinking for the future as its getting to big\heavy.
Can you keep palms in a garage all winter without light?


User avatar
Yorkshire Kris
Posts: 10148
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:59 am
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Palms and other tropicals for northern england

Post by Yorkshire Kris » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:41 am

Adam r wrote:
The Codfather wrote:I pot plundge mine.....and its in the garage now. I will have to start thinking for the future as its getting to big\heavy.
Can you keep palms in a garage all winter without light?

Pretty much, yes see this video for the range of plants that can be stored in a garage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TGQrlDZFrU


jungle jas
Posts: 1453
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:58 pm
Location: Arthog, Gwynedd, North West Wales.

Re: Palms and other tropicals for northern England

Post by jungle jas » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:42 pm

What sort of minimum temperatures do you get in the winter? How far are you from the coast. icon_thumright
Ignorance is bliss. What I don't know, wont worry me!

Jas


dino
Posts: 1563
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: West Midlands

Re: Palms and other tropicals for northern england

Post by dino » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:14 pm

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
Adam r wrote:
The Codfather wrote:I pot plundge mine.....and its in the garage now. I will have to start thinking for the future as its getting to big\heavy.
Can you keep palms in a garage all winter without light?

Pretty much, yes see this video for the range of plants that can be stored in a garage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TGQrlDZFrU
But that's a garage with a window. What about one with no light?


Adam r
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:05 pm
Location: Sunderland

Re: Palms and other tropicals for northern england

Post by Adam r » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Pretty much, yes see this video for the range of plants that can be stored in a garage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TGQrlDZFrU[/quote]
But that's a garage with a window. What about one with no light?[/quote]

Yes that garage has a window and a door with windows so the plants stored in there are protected from frost but still have a bit of light but what about Complete darkness for four months?


Post Reply