Palms and other tropicals for northern england

Adam r

Re: Palms and other tropicals for northern England

Post by Adam r »

jungle jas wrote:What sort of minimum temperatures do you get in the winter? How far are you from the coast. icon_thumright
I think I'm about 3 miles from the coast. I think -7 or -8 are pretty much the lowest we usually get but we did get about -11 on one night on 3/12/10 which was the coldest I've ever felt it was unbelievably cold but very unusual and on the same night I think newcastle got about -14 or -15 which is also unusual.

I'm a gardener for a local housing Company and work outside all year and when it was -7 it was colder than I usually experience.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Adam r wrote:and on the same night I think newcastle got about -14 or -15 which is also unusual.
Not in Newcastle, maybe out at the airport. Coldest in Newcastle that winter was also -11.

Newcastle is probably about the same as Sunderland for winter lows, as although it's further from the coast, it's also got more urban heat island effect.
Adam r

Post by Adam r »

Conifers wrote:
Adam r wrote:and on the same night I think newcastle got about -14 or -15 which is also unusual.
Not in Newcastle, maybe out at the airport. Coldest in Newcastle that winter was also -11.

Newcastle is probably about the same as Sunderland for winter lows, as although it's further from the coast, it's also got more urban heat island effect.
The only reason I thought it was that cold in newcastle that winter was I'm sure someone on this forum said it was but I could be wrong. I read all sorts on the Internet I don't know how accurate the information is that I read. But then again I sometimes find it hard to separate dreams from reality lol
Adam r

Re: Palms and other tropicals for northern england

Post by Adam r »

My Phoenix canariensis_CIDP has finally grown. I bought it last April and planted it in the ground but it did nothing all summer then I protected it in winter with one of those cheap plastic grow houses and it took -9 on a couple of nights with some leaf burn. I've been checking all summer for growth then in July I noticed it had grown a bit and its now pushing out a new spear that wasn't there before.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Nice one, keep up the good work. icon_thumright
Adam r

Post by Adam r »

The ground was frozen solid around the palm for a few days and some of the leaf edges turned brown after that cold snap but its still alive and finally showing signs of growth which I think is a good result considering I'm in sunderland. I tied up the fronds and put hay around the trunk and near the growing point as well as putting a plastic grow house over it to keep the wind, rain, snow and frost off. I got through the first winter but all the heartache and worry will be starting again in a couple of months lol