Cordyline Indivisa Failures

huporhaha

Cordyline Indivisa Failures

Post by huporhaha »

I have just noticed that two of my three cordyline indivisas have died - above ground that is - at least. The third is looking decidedly poorly but I think it might not be wise to disturb it right now by digging it up and brining it into the greenhouse to pot up in a big pot in case it stresses it too much. The longest I have ever managed to keep an individa is 5 years. What am I doing wrong?

I understand that are a woodland species and need to be kept in slightly more moist conditions than Australis, which I have provided, but they just don't seem to like me.

Any ideas?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Cordyline Indivisa Failures

Post by Dave Brown »

huporhaha wrote: The longest I have ever managed to keep an indivisa is 5 years. What am I doing wrong?

I understand that are a woodland species and need to be kept in slightly more moist conditions than Australis, which I have provided, but they just don't seem to like me.

Any ideas?
That is 2 years longer than me. They don't like hot. They can't tolerate dry, and need perfect drainage, which is a pretty tall order for most of the UK. You've just had a drought summer by all accounts.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by multim »

It is the very nature of this plant to suddenly die for no apparent reason. I'm sure you're doing nothing wrong at all.There is quite a large specimen at Lower Keneggy Nurseries - the only one of many planted to have survived and flourished. See the thread 'at last a real cordyline indivisa'.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

multim wrote:It is the very nature of this plant to suddenly die for no apparent reason. I'm sure you're doing nothing wrong at all.There is quite a large specimen at Lower Keneggy Nurseries - the only one of many planted to have survived and flourished. See the thread 'at last a real cordyline indivisa'.
The species would be extinct if that was the case, something is happening that tips them over the edge.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Yes Dave,

Freezing cold in my case ..it just went... I watched it fall over like in slow motion from the kitchen window, unbelievable. I will never forget what I saw.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
pdid

Post by pdid »

Mine is reasonably happy in the conservatory at the moment :wink:
indivisia.jpg
multim

Post by multim »

Okay, I'll re-phrase my remark to 'it is the nature of this plant to die for no apparent reason IN CAPTIVITY'. In its native habitat it grows very well indeed. No chance of it becoming extict at all.
kata

Post by kata »

I never say never (Extinct) Multim,

icon_cheers
multim

Post by multim »

Yeah yeah, one day we will all be extinct. Not just yet though!
I've just lifted my pot-plunged Indivisa to a frost-free place - just until the cold spell passes.
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

hmmmm, didn't realise they were so fussy, I bought 10 seedlings at the end of October and they are currently sitting in a shady but sheltered spot at the side of the house. They seem quite happy and have grown a bit.

Obvs they can't stay there forever (or can they icon_scratch ) so any info on a good spot would be appreciated, maybe they'd be at home in my new fernery (in progress) as that stays in shade most of the year and only gets a bit of sun in summer.
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Thanks for all your remarks - I know they are fussy but they have two beautiful ones just down the road at Inverewe. I try not to let them dry out at the same time as keeping them in well drained soil. Like you say Dave, possibly our summer drought here took its toll. They certainly didn't put on the growth I'd hoped for in the summer so perhaps they were already weak before winter set in. Thanks.

I have loads of Australis and tried with some of the less hardy named varieties, but they too have gone the way of the indivisas and I had put them in the greenhouse. Little wonder really , they were raised in Jersey and last winter they just held on but this winter they are ex-cordies!
multim

Post by multim »

Yes, they fussy things indeed. I have found that they prefer a moist but well drained soil a little on the acid side. Dappled shade and don't let them dry out. They hate extremes of temperatures although they will take a few degrees of frost for a little while but not prolonged freezes. Hot weather, 25-30 C is equally disliked. The ones I have seen which have grown large enough to have their heads in the sun, have their roots in the cool moist soil.
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

Think I may have the ideal spot for mine, next to my small pine, sheltered, would get sun on it's head but have cool moist roots....llet's just hope the slugs and snails don't like them.
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

I thought I'd placed mine fairly well and we certainly don't get hot summers up here. Sort of dappled shade and sheltered. I think we had it very dry last summer whilst the rest of the UK got soaked. Perhaps they were on the way out in the autumn and now that the cold has returned they have just expired. I think I will give up with Indivisas - even my aspidistras outside survive quite happily in the shelter of some fargesias but I don't like to be beaten.......
multim

Post by multim »

I have found that slugs and snails don't present a problem. I also have aspidestras planted without any protection and they do very well. Very close to where I site the Indivisa.