planting palms too close to boundaries

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: planting palms too close to boundaries

Post by Dave Brown »

huporhaha wrote:
We wanted to purchase some common land adjoining the bottom end of the front garden that we believed belonged to a local estate. We contacted the estate's solicitor and he couldn't prove that it belonged to the estate. He wanted us to pay to prove who actually owned the land and then buy it. We declined and it is still just common scrub land. I bet someone would come out of the woodwork claiming ownership if we fenced it off and annexed it to our garden! :lol:
That would save you the money of finding the owner. If someone asked you to take it down, just say "prove you are the land owner". If they can't, you leave the fence there ..... simple :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by huporhaha »

Dave Brown wrote:
huporhaha wrote:
We wanted to purchase some common land adjoining the bottom end of the front garden that we believed belonged to a local estate. We contacted the estate's solicitor and he couldn't prove that it belonged to the estate. He wanted us to pay to prove who actually owned the land and then buy it. We declined and it is still just common scrub land. I bet someone would come out of the woodwork claiming ownership if we fenced it off and annexed it to our garden! :lol:
That would save you the money of finding the owner. If someone asked you to take it down, just say "prove you are the land owner". If they can't, you leave the fence there ..... simple :lol:

Good idea Dave
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

If you keep extending your boundaries like that your palm planting will never be too close. The simplest solutions are always the best :wink:
flounder

Post by flounder »

huporhaha wrote:No problems like that for me - I have been very "good" and not taken extra land, but around here, you are lucky if you even know what IS your boundary. Land has changed hands in the past for as little as a few drinks in the local pub. Others have just e-x-t-e-n-d-e-d their house, gardens etc. whenever they fancy doing so.

Steph, d'you mean to say that salt water pond at the bottom of the garden isn't yours? :wink:
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

3 CIDPs that are in a brilliant microclimate and have survived all the recent harsh winters unprotected. No doubt planted as bedding plants, but have grown and grown.

South-facing slope, elevated for drainage, against a warm south-facing wall (radiating heat), the wall is the exterior of a house so will leak additional heat through the night, sheltered from the wind, and in full sunshine.

3 CIDPs too close.jpg
excuse poor quality of pic, taken at sunrise on an ipod (on my morning jog)

So, when do the owners dig them out
Alsone

Post by Alsone »

Has anyone considered / have knowledge of the root systems of Phoenix Canariensis?

One of the the things that worries me about planting mine in the ground is how far the roots spread and what damage they might do to nearby walls / the house etc.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Alsone wrote:Has anyone considered / have knowledge of the root systems of Phoenix Canariensis?

One of the the things that worries me about planting mine in the ground is how far the roots spread and what damage they might do to near
Theby walls / the house etc.
The roots are not a problem as they remain pencil think and don't expand and toughen up like normal tree roots.
Alsone

Post by Alsone »

Ah Ok thanks.

That opens up far more possibilities for siting.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Just make sure there is enough room for the trunk to form. I've seen walls cracked by the expanding trunk in Tenerife. Don't plant closer than 3ft (1m)
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by otorongo »

Dave Brown wrote:Just make sure there is enough room for the trunk to form. I've seen walls cracked by the expanding trunk in Tenerife. Don't plant closer than 3ft (1m)
Someone said the trunk of a mature palm is 3ft in diameter, so 1.5ft from the boundary to the centre should be ok?

I'm wondering how long it takes a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP to reach that size? Mine is planted 1.5ft from a fence.