Phoenix Loureirii

jungle jas

Phoenix Loureirii

Post by jungle jas »

Hi all, any one grown one of these from seed and planted it in the garden and managed to keep it alive? If so how? Thanks. icon_thumright
Rod

Re: Phoenix Loureirii

Post by Rod »

jungle jas wrote:Hi all, any one grown one of these from seed and planted it in the garden and managed to keep it alive? If so how? Thanks. icon_thumright
Hi Jungle jas this palm is now called ( Phoenix loureiroi ) Loureirii was found to be incorrect.
I have two different forms of this palm ( one in a pot and one in the ground ) - They have not been through a winter here as of yet. So i cannot tell you how much frost they can take. Hopefully they will be alright but i will definitely update this info after winter.
Below is my potted Phoenix loureiroi

jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Thanks for the information. Rod. icon_thumright
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Just beware if buying one as many European nurseries that have these listed for sale are actually selling fat trunked Phoenix roebellenii...
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Nathan wrote:Just beware if buying one as many European nurseries that have these listed for sale are actually selling fat trunked Phoenix roebellenii...
Thanks, that wont be a problem for me ,as I am trying to grow them from seed. icon_thumright
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Rod wrote:
jungle jas wrote:Hi all, any one grown one of these from seed and planted it in the garden and managed to keep it alive? If so how? Thanks. icon_thumright
Hi Jungle jas this palm is now called ( Phoenix loureiroi ) Loureirii was found to be incorrect.
I have two different forms of this palm ( one in a pot and one in the ground ) - They have not been through a winter here as of yet. So i cannot tell you how much frost they can take. Hopefully they will be alright but i will definitely update this info after winter.

[ Image ]

[ Image ]
That should be one of the hardier Phoenix. A very common palm in the Himalaya. Growing arround 600 to 1600 meters there.

Alexander
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Alexander wrote:
Rod wrote:

[ Image ]

[ Image ]
That should be one of the hardier Phoenix. A very common palm in the Himalaya. Growing arround 600 to 1600 meters there.

Alexander[/quote

My seedlings came from seed I picked last winter in the Tenerife so it will be a few years before I can try them outside. icon_thumright
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

I have grown some from seed but I am pretty sure they will be hybrids with canariensis, can't tell you much as last winter was mild but they survived in pots in an unheated greenhouse
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

No planting out yet for my two year old baby seedling. Still in the cradle of the greenhouse.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

I've got a plant from seed which is 6 years old. It's just spent it's first summer outside and will come in soon. The foliage is very long and lax compared to other Phoenix but I'm hoping a spell outside might change this.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

My juvenile leaves on the seedling are rather short. Grown in full sun I don't think I''ll eventually get long thin fronds on this.
Rod

Post by Rod »

JoelR wrote:I've got a plant from seed which is 6 years old. It's just spent it's first summer outside and will come in soon. The foliage is very long and lax compared to other Phoenix but I'm hoping a spell outside might change this.
Hi Joel - Any photos of your 6-year old palm ?
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Here you go Rod. Not the best of specimens. It's spent most of its life to date in my conservatory which is actually quite sunny. Maybe this species' massive range makes it quite variable in form. I'd swap your plant for mine anyday lol :D.
Attachments
100_5071.JPG
100_5070.JPG
Rod

Post by Rod »

JoelR wrote:Here you go Rod. Not the best of specimens. It's spent most of its life to date in my conservatory which is actually quite sunny. Maybe this species' massive range makes it quite variable in form. I'd swap your plant for mine anyday lol :D.
Nice Joel - It will get stiffer if grown outside from now on ( and put into the greenhouse for the winter only )
Good that you have kept this alive for 6-years - nice work.