Trithrinax Campestris.

jungle jas

Trithrinax Campestris.

Post by jungle jas »

Just obtained a small double one of the above, as they are a bit vicious I need to find somewhere suitable to plant it later on in the year. However I don't know how big across the crown they are. They look a lot smaller in the pictures I have looked at than a Trackycarpus Crown. Any one any Ideas? Thanks. icon_thumright
Delboy

Re: Trithrinax Campestris.

Post by Delboy »

I believe these are very very slow growing palms, so i wouldnt worry too much on size, however they are leathal so probably wise to plant where its not going to cause injury :lol:

I have my eye on a small one, if i get it i will plant it in a raised bed completely out of harms way. I've only seen one in person and was shocked how vicious they are.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Delboy wrote: however they are lethal so probably wise to plant where its not going to cause injury :lol:
Delboy wrote:I have my eye on a small one,
Delboy wrote: I've only seen one in person and was shocked how vicious they are.
Which eye is on that small one, and how long has it been impaled there?

:lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

any one got any decent macro/closeup shots of said spikes?
karl66

Post by karl66 »

These are great palm's but have been a major disapointment in most of the uk, early claim's of hardiness to -15 have been blown away by the amount of people who have lost them!, last year i was offered one with 6ft of trunk at at unbelievable price but it had took some pretty bad frond damage, i was not sure it would recover so declined!, growth wise extremly slow & probably on par with sabal palm's for speed. karl.
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

I have 3 small seed grown ones, 2 doubles and a triple, they do this not long after germination. Painfully slow, kept in the green house all year, after 6 years they are about 6 inches high and 8 inches wide ! I wouldn't worry about the spiny trunk for at least 50 years !! The leaves are very stiff too. Slower than my Sabal minor which is outside, so unless you get one with a trunk you may never see one ! I previously lost 2 bigger ones killed at -12. One interesting thing I noticed before they snuffed it was if they spear pulled they grew a new growing point between the older leaves ! They are beautiful when big, but as a small specimen, not particularly exciting or rewarding tbh !
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Conifers wrote:
Delboy wrote: however they are lethal so probably wise to plant where its not going to cause injury :lol:
Delboy wrote:I have my eye on a small one,
Delboy wrote: I've only seen one in person and was shocked how vicious they are.
Which eye is on that small one, and how long has it been impaled there?

:lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
TroyDonovan

Post by TroyDonovan »

One of my favorite fan palm and impossible to obtain down here now .

I had one of these about 6 yrs ago that was around 15 cm tall i planted it in the warmest northerly part of the garden behind a big boulder for extra warmth and in well drained soil mixed with river gravel . Despite all this it grew 1 frond in 2 yrs and eventually rotted out during a particularly wet winter very disappointing palm for Tasmania and $ 150 out of pocket ! :?

Here is the best specimen i have ever seen in the garden of Dick Douglas ( whom passed away a few months ago ) with me back in 2010 in Walnut creek California .
Attachments
Dick Douglas.jpg
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

They are not too hard to get in this country, the only hard part is getting one of a decent size for a decent price. I have two, one is 40cm tall and the bigger one is 60cm tall and both have two trunks. I would have liked a bigger one with a proper trunk but the price is just too much and anyway my 60cm one ls just starting to form a trunk now and is very slowly moving up one leaf at a time.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Yes they are very slow growing and don't like the wet or prolonged cold. They come from the desert and do get temperatures down to -12c but that's over night and the day time temperatures are above freezing. I don't mind plugging it into the national grid in prolonged cold snaps to try and grow it. I also garden on pure sand and I hope that will stop the roots from rotting. Only time will tell. icon_thumright
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

TroyDonovan wrote:One of my favorite fan palm and impossible to obtain down here now .

I had one of these about 6 yrs ago that was around 15 cm tall i planted it in the warmest northerly part of the garden behind a big boulder for extra warmth and in well drained soil mixed with river gravel . Despite all this it grew 1 frond in 2 yrs and eventually rotted out during a particularly wet winter very disappointing palm for Tasmania and $ 150 out of pocket ! :?

Here is the best specimen i have ever seen in the garden of Dick Douglas ( whom passed away a few months ago ) with me back in 2010 in Walnut creek California .
That's a nice one Troy, is it a double header? It looks quite wide
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

The campestris in Troys picture looks a magnificent specimen, I have never seen one with a head of leaves any were near as wide as that it looks the picture of health just beautiful icon_thumleft Sorry to hear Dick Douglas passed away, I have a seedling originating from one of his palms a butia x jubaea cross.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

JBALLY wrote:The campestris in Troys picture looks a magnificent specimen, I have never seen one with a head of leaves any were near as wide as that it looks the picture of health just beautiful icon_thumleft Sorry to hear Dick Douglas passed away, I have a seedling originating from one of his palms a butia x jubaea cross.
That's interesting do you know what Butia is was? how is it growing?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I bought mine when Martin Gibbons was running the Palm Centre, think it was around 1996. It was about 6 inches tall. Now it has about doubled this, but has split into two. :lol: It suffered leaflet damage in -6C so is overwintered under cover now. I don't think there is much point in planting it out, as would need protection.

Can't believe what a mess it is in, but I don't really look at it, as it never changes. The leaves damaged in 2007/8 -6C are the ones with leaftips fried, so seems to have grown 3 leaves per trunk in 5 years. As I'm in one of the driest places, and with warm summers, it is definitely not a palm for the UK. :roll:
Attachments
2013-02-22-09-18-00 Trithrinax campestris.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by multim »

I have seen these at a local garden centre, double-headed and small, priced at around £55. The UK quite simply does not have a suitable climate to grow this palm outdoors. Best to pass this one by.