trachycarpus manipur

DiCasS

Re: trachycarpus manipur

Post by DiCasS »

David York wrote:
More shots would be nice to see, especially as it grows bigger.
Thanks for your input David.

Whatever it is, it's been totally neglected in a part of the garden I don't bother much about. Never been fed, protected and abused. It survived the 2010 Winter so it deserves it's place. Looking at the back of the leaf it's mainly just plain green so am assuming it's not a Manipur as it's been mentioned the back is silver. Confused - I am :lol:

A pic of the funny little trunk which looks as though its lost it's way a little, but growing okay. Hey, look at all those weeds.

Picture 3495 [640x480].jpg
Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
David York

Post by David York »

GoggleboxUK wrote:
David York wrote:That certainly looks like T. ukhrulensis for sure. Nice Manihot too!
Thanks David but that's a Schefflera Rhododendrifolia not a Manihot ;)
My mistake! Nice plant all the same.
Vulneratus Non Victus - Wounded But Never Beaten
David York

Post by David York »

DiCasS wrote:
David York wrote:
More shots would be nice to see, especially as it grows bigger.
Thanks for your input David.

Whatever it is, it's been totally neglected in a part of the garden I don't bother much about. Never been fed, protected and abused. It survived the 2010 Winter so it deserves it's place. Looking at the back of the leaf it's mainly just plain green so am assuming it's not a Manipur as it's been mentioned the back is silver. Confused - I am :lol:

A pic of the funny little trunk which looks as though its lost it's way a little, but growing okay. Hey, look at all those weeds.

Picture 3495 [640x480].jpg
Di
Both oreophilus and ukhrulensis are known to creep. However, out of the two, ukhrulensis does it by far the most.

Seeing your latest picture makes me think that it may well be ukhrulensis.

Regarding the leaves, the wax that develops on the back of ukhrulensis is white, not unlike princeps, whereas the wax on the back of oreophilus is duller, more of a greenish grey, similar to what you find on the back of a fortunei leaf.

Your leaves might not be showing much colour due to cultivation reasons. It probably needs a good feed and a mulch to make it's qualities appear. Remember, palms like plenty of nutrition!
Vulneratus Non Victus - Wounded But Never Beaten
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I dont think Di,s plant is a manipur or oreophilus. The leaves are far too rounded for that age.
I would have to plump for a naini tal.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Thanks David/Nigel.

I look forward to watching it grow and seeing how it develops over time.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Springy Steve

trachycarpus manipur

Post by Springy Steve »

Well it’s now been over 6 years and this palm is still chugging along. There is now about 2ft of hairy stem and the leaves are a lot bigger now. Is it still T. manipur?
The whole plant is only about 5ft tall in total.
Attachments
5B9D8862-D993-42B6-A52E-D2E98109A6A5.jpeg
264F1F34-110D-47A5-9482-621E526F7AA8.jpeg