trachycarpus manipur

kata

Re: trachycarpus manipur

Post by kata »

Thanks David, looks like I have three fortuneis now.

:mrgreen:
David York

Post by David York »

Springy wrote:This is my palm that I purchased as Manipur. I have only had it just over a year and it was fine over last winter and even pushed a leaf out!
It will be planted in a sheltered sunny spot this year.

This looks very much like T. oreophilus.
Vulneratus Non Victus - Wounded But Never Beaten
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

David York wrote:
Springy wrote:This is my palm that I purchased as Manipur. I have only had it just over a year and it was fine over last winter and even pushed a leaf out!
It will be planted in a sheltered sunny spot this year.

This looks very much like T. oreophilus.
Isn't that just another name for Manipur?

;)
David York

Post by David York »

Trachycarpus oreophilus from northern Thailand.

Trachycarpus ukhrulensis (still being called by many by its temporary name Trachycarpus.sp. 'Manipur'), from Manipur State, India.

Two completely different species separated by almost 1000 kilometers.
David York

Post by David York »

Springy's plant may well be T. ukhrulensis (ex 'Manipur'), but at the moment it has a look of T. oreophilus. As it gets bigger, it will hopefully become clearer as to which species it actually is.

There are several growers selling T. oreophilus as T. ukhrulensis (ex 'Manipur'), so this isn't really helping with correct naming.
Last edited by David York on Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Springy

Post by Springy »

David York wrote:Springy's plant may well be T. ukhrulensis (ex 'Manipur'), but at the moment it has a look of T. oreophilus. As it gets bigger, it will hopefully become clearer as to which species it actually is.

There are several growers selling T. oreophilus as T. ukhrulessis (ex 'Manipur'), so this isn't really helping with correct naming.
Thanks for your opinion David. I never got to planting it in the end. I'm not sure just where to place it at the moment and now it's too late to plant it until next spring!
I'm not sure if it even put out many leaves last year. icon_thumbdown

I know that it looks different from my trachies so it will be interesting to see what happens with it. :?:
Springy

Post by Springy »

I think I bought it from europalms but just clicked on their website and it doesn't seem to be working at the moment! icon_scratch
David York

Post by David York »

I fear that Europalms may have ceased trading. This is very sad, as I have had many fine plants from James over the years.
Springy

Post by Springy »

David York wrote:I fear that Europalms may have ceased trading. This is very sad, as I have had many fine plants from James over the years.
So how does that make you think as to the correct naming of my palm?!
David York

Post by David York »

Springy, it doesn't. Merely a comment regarding Europalms, because you had mentioned them and their website.
Springy

Post by Springy »

David York wrote:Springy, it doesn't. Merely a comment regarding Europalms, because you had mentioned them and their website.
Ah it's just that you said that some growers were labelling them incorrectly, I wondered just how accurate their labelling was at europalms and your opinion on this now that you know the supplier?!
Were they pretty accurate as I'd never purchased from them before?!
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

David York wrote:Trachycarpus oreophilus from northern Thailand.

Trachycarpus ukhrulensis (still being called by many by its temporary name Trachycarpus.sp. 'Manipur'), from Manipur State, India.

Thanks, I remembered that when I bought my Manipur it came labelled as something else but couldn't remember what. Not that I see it written down it was definitely ukhrulensis.

Here's a pic of mine which has been settling in nicely since it was planted last spring:

David York

Post by David York »

GoggleboxUK wrote:
David York wrote:Trachycarpus oreophilus from northern Thailand.

Thanks, I remembered that when I bought my Manipur it came labelled as something else but couldn't remember what. Not that I see it written down it was definitely ukhrulensis.

Here's a pic of mine which has been settling in nicely since it was planted last spring:

[ Image ]

[ Image ]
That certainly looks like T. ukhrulensis for sure. Nice Manihot too!
David York

Post by David York »

Springy wrote:
David York wrote:Springy, it doesn't. Merely a comment regarding Europalms, because you had mentioned them and their website.
Ah it's just that you said that some growers were labelling them incorrectly, I wondered just how accurate their labelling was at europalms and your opinion on this now that you know the supplier?!
Were they pretty accurate as I'd never purchased from them before?!
I didn't mean that James's plants were mislabelled. Most of the time, his stuff was pretty accurate and the only time it might have been wrong was if, for example he had acquired seeds in good faith of a particular species that turned out to be something else.

Your plant might well be correct, and time will tell. When I saw the plant, it did remind remind me of a young oreophilus.
Having said that, they are difficult to tell apart when young. As they get bigger, they start to look very different and then it will be easier to identify.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

David York wrote:That certainly looks like T. ukhrulensis for sure. Nice Manihot too!
Thanks David but that's a Schefflera Rhododendrifolia not a Manihot ;)