When do people uncover palms?

Adam r

When do people uncover palms?

Post by Adam r »

Hi

When is it usually safe to stop protecting palms?
I've had mine covered up since October and I'm getting a bit inpatient now. It starts to warm up into double figures and then more snow.

Adam
kata

Re: When do people uncover palms?

Post by kata »

Not a fortunei I hope Adam,

As long as its not freezing like -10 or so you should be ok.

What kind are they before you uncover unless its a fortunei which does'nt need covering unless very arctic?

Mine this winter, dumped on three times...no cover.
P1010174.JPG
And the babies also not covered.
P1010171.JPG
It DOES depend what kind.
icon_sunny
billdango

Post by billdango »

I'm lucky down here on the south coast as the only palm that I have to protect during cold snaps is my Syagrus Romanzoffianum.

And I only wrap that one if frost or snow threatens.

I will protect it this week as it may get down to -4c here in Southampton on some nights.

All the palms listed below can easily take -6c down here and you may be able to grow them as well.

T Fortuni
B Armata
C humilis
W robusta
B capitata
T Wagnerianus
R hystrix
P Canariensis

billdango icon_thumleft
Adam r

Post by Adam r »

No not fortunei. My trachies are exposed and fine. I have a planted Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in a plastic greenhouse along with 2 baby potted nainitals, a potted butia eriospatha that's just started splitting leaves and 2 baby robustas that've just started splitting leaves which were fine until we had -9 hope they come through.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Don't think its worth risking too early up your way Adam. It's alright us down here saying we're ok to let some air in, but you're prone to a bit more harsher conditions. With the days getting longer, can't you do a partial unwrap? Give some ventilation during less cold days but maybe have some cold defence at the ready in case.
Adam r

Post by Adam r »

Air does get in as there is gaps where the wind gets in underneath the cover. If I leave the door flap open, too much wind gets in and causes damage to the cover. I've been repairing the cover throughout the winter with gaffer tape as my garden gets battered with very strong westerlies from time to time. There hasn't my been any condensation for a while since the cover was blown off and ripped in places. So the gaps may have done some good. The rain and frost is kept off which is the main thing.
flounder

Post by flounder »

You could try a piece of fleece instead of the door flap. Give you air without the turbo
Adam r

Post by Adam r »

I might try that. As long as I can secure it with tape.
kata

Post by kata »

Get fleece bags with the toggle Adam

Choose which way you wrap then. Enclose palm from below with toggle on top, or overhead...then pull to suit.

Providing palms are small enough although they do sell large bags...very large.

http://www.selections.com/gardman-set-o ... edium.html
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

I have a couple of massive green fleece bags 6 ft x 4 ft and they are quite thick material (30 gm) bought from my local nursery and they are very easy to slip on and off quite large palms, if the palms need a larger size I have a 50m role of 2m wide fleece to wrap around them comes in very handy although have not need to use any very much this year but is good to have just in case.
Adam r

Post by Adam r »

I've only seen the small fleece bags. Can they be kept in fleece bags all winter and how much protection do they give?
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

kata wrote:Not a fortunei I hope Adam,

As long as its not freezing like -10 or so you should be ok.

What kind are they before you uncover unless its a fortunei which does'nt need covering unless very arctic?

Mine this winter, dumped on three times...no cover.
P1010174.JPG
And the babies also not covered.
P1010171.JPG
It DOES depend what kind.
icon_sunny

nice pics Kata drunken_smilie1 drunken_smilie1 drunken_smilie1
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Adam r wrote:I've only seen the small fleece bags. Can they be kept in fleece bags all winter and how much protection do they give?

Haxnix do small, medium and large toggle fleece bags. I can do my entire garden in 10-20 mins, so quick to cover and secure. My recovery cordyline for example has had a large fleece bag on it since end of November, as they still let light and air in i'm not worried.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Watch this video Adam, you'll see some of the large Haxnix bags on my cordyline's, and some of the medium bags on my Yucca and Phoenix canariensis_CIDP

Adam r

Post by Adam r »

[quote="cordyman"]Watch this video Adam, you'll see some of the large Haxnix bags on my cordyline's, and some of the medium bags on my Yucca and Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP

The plastic grow house that you have your potted washy in is the same type I'm using for my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP and various others.