Chammy in centre of Lawn**

pad199207

Chammy in centre of Lawn**

Post by pad199207 »

Hi Guys,

Would anybody know if a Chammy would look well in the centre of a Lawn?

I know they can get quite bushy and all but I would keep it tidy! :D

Thanks

Pad :D
Nathan

Re: Chammy in centre of Lawn**

Post by Nathan »

Yes is the short answer, I wouldn't have grass round its base though, so a neat circle cut around it would look best, but as they can get quite big you will have to keep making that circle bigger as the years go on icon_thumright
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

I think a large trunked Chamaerops makes an excellent centerpiece, in fact one of the best, however i emphasize the word large as small ones can look insignificant for many years!
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

How big is the lawn Pad.
TroyDonovan

Post by TroyDonovan »

Ah ha a Chamearops and i was thinking of a leather cloth used to wipe the water off a newly washed car ! LOL :DD Aussie slang for Chamois .

Seriously though a Chamaerops would be a great centerpiece on a front lawn especially surrounded by somthing like blue succulents like Encherveria .

Troy
Dim

Post by Dim »

I prefer something like a trachycarpus wagnerianus .... it's hardier, and grows faster, and does ok in windy positions

I planted 2 chammies 2 years ago in a garden .... they have not grown at all
Dim

Post by Dim »

you could try planting 3 palms in the same hole? ...

multim

Post by multim »

If we're talking about Chammy 'humilis' then you will soon have more than one thanks to the suckering habit. It will be very slow to make much height in an exposed position. As previously mentioned, a Waggy would be better. You would need to remove a circle of grass around the planting hole about the same size as the canopy of the plant. It's not really due to the grass taking up valuable nutrients. Grass won't grow well in the dry and shady area under the palm.
jezza

Post by jezza »

To give you an idea i did this with a trachycarpus last year.....

blog18.JPG
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

I think it would be brilliant as they're naturally trunk forming, so it would have plenty of space to branch out and would look so neat and architectural, also it can take exposed locations as it's okay with wind. Like others have said, only prob is how slow growing it is.

Well worth spending extra to get the biggest you can to speed things up :) Google "mature chamaerops humilis" to see what I mean.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

I think as a lawn centre piece i would try to find a large trunked plant with little or no suckers and keep it that way! I also agree that a Trachycarpus Wagnerianus would be a tempting alternative! Something like this would be fantastic;

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=large+ ... 99&ndsp=25
multim

Post by multim »

Something that would surely be nice. I saw some good examples last year, although not as tall...Not much change out of £1,000.00. And then, you're gonna need a fork lift to get it planted!
Matcycas7

Post by Matcycas7 »

Did any one know how to make soft golf lawn ? Are there different types of lawns? Here in our city nobody cares about growing lawns. I see patterns of lawns in football ground. How do they create that dark and light green lawn patterns ?

Is it expensive or painstaking process ? icon_bigsmurf
Attachments
imagesCAIJA7UR.jpg
imagesCAIJA7UR.jpg (11.8 KiB) Viewed 3018 times
sportsturf3.jpg
sportsturf3.jpg (14.37 KiB) Viewed 3018 times
flounder

Post by flounder »

Matcycas7 wrote:Did any one know how to make soft golf lawn ? Are there different types of lawns? Here in our city nobody cares about growing lawns. I see patterns of lawns in football ground. How do they create that dark and light green lawn patterns ?

Is it expensive or painstaking process ? icon_bigsmurf
It's done with a mower that has a roller on the back
Matcycas7

Post by Matcycas7 »

flounder, of course the mower or the machine cuts the grass but how does it gets 2 colours ?