Chammy in centre of Lawn**

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Chammy in centre of Lawn**

Post by Dave Brown »

I think the players would be happy with a Chamaerops in the middle of the pitch :lol:

Mine is not in the middle of the lawn, but you can imagine :wink:
Attachments
2013-06-11-18-31-10 Chamaerops .jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Conifers »

Matcycas7 wrote:flounder, of course the mower or the machine cuts the grass but how does it gets 2 colours ?
Because the roller flattens the grass in different directions. One row, the mower is heading towards you, the next, heading away, then towards again, and so on. That affects the reflected light your eyes pick up. Go to the far end of the lawn, and the dark rows will now look light, and the light rows dark.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

Conifers wrote:
Matcycas7 wrote:flounder, of course the mower or the machine cuts the grass but how does it gets 2 colours ?
Because the roller flattens the grass in different directions. One row, the mower is heading towards you, the next, heading away, then towards again, and so on. That affects the reflected light your eyes pick up. Go to the far end of the lawn, and the dark rows will now look light, and the light rows dark.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (41.88 KiB) Viewed 2884 times
wintomato

Post by wintomato »

Jezza. Lovely garden pic. Those banana (?) trees look fantastic. What are they exactly? ( sorry, off topic but am not allowed to send PM's from my profile yet)
Thanks
jezza

Post by jezza »

Red one is ensete maurelli which i don't have any more as it rotted and died this year. Green one is musa basjoo which i still have.
ConcreteJungle

Post by ConcreteJungle »

The two colours is merely a trick of the light, the mowers roller bends the grass in one direction, then another as you Mow back up next to the previous line. therefore the sun reflects differently on the grass, brighter and darker.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Lawn paint. :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry. :oops:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Chammys are soooooo slow, so I agree unless buying a big specimen it would look very odd, better with a fortune or waggy

Palmhouse have their largest waggy on offer at £70 still, and english hard grown too

http://www.thepalmhouse.co.uk/t_wagnerianus.html

jezza wrote:To give you an idea i did this with a trachycarpus last year.....

blog18.JPG

cracking ensete there! how many seasons old?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Once a Chammy does get big there is no comparison. Chammy wins on elegance hands down, as it has many, many more leaves in the crown.
Attachments
2013-12-28 10-28-44 Sunny Palms.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by cordyman »

Dave Brown wrote:Once a Chammy does get big there is no comparison. Chammy wins on elegance hands down, as it has many, many more leaves in the crown.

The final result i'll agree on, but as a centre piece unless you have some serious cash to splash on a good trunked chammy, with a single trunk habit like yours, a small chammy would take years to look ok in the centre of a lawn. In a border or on the edge would be ok as doesnt stand out or look odd IMHO
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

cordyman wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:Once a Chammy does get big there is no comparison. Chammy wins on elegance hands down, as it has many, many more leaves in the crown.

The final result i'll agree on, but as a centre piece unless you have some serious cash to splash on a good trunked chammy, with a single trunk habit like yours, a small chammy would take years to look ok in the centre of a lawn. In a border or on the edge would be ok as doesnt stand out or look odd IMHO
it's the newbie impatience thing again. I didn't buy big I just bought it 20 years ago. A bit like saying if you can't afford a 6 bed house in 2 acres, there is no point in buying a house. The main difference is you know your 2 bed terrace WILL become a 6 bed in 2 acres in 20 years :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by cordyman »

Dave Brown wrote:
cordyman wrote:

it's the newbie impatience thing again. I didn't buy big I just bought it 20 years ago. A bit like saying if you can't afford a 6 bed house in 2 acres, there is no point in buying a house. The main difference is you know your 2 bed terrace WILL become a 6 bed in 2 acres in 20 years :wink:

Totally agree but the key location here is "centrepiece" how long for a £50 chammy centrepiece to not stand out like a sore thumb and spoil the garden?

A side border like yours doesnt look odd. icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

It wasn't always in a side border. here in 2000 after being planted out in 1998
Attachments
2000-03-20 Chammy Chamaerops.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by cordyman »

Dave Brown wrote:It wasn't always in a side border. here in 2000 after being planted out in 1998
That's a cracking chammy though, planted 2 years there and it's a good size already. That I could see in a centrepiece. Someone link below nursery chammy for sale right now of that stature though without paying big cash icon_salut
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

Dave Brown wrote:
cordyman wrote:

who knows if you will be around in 20 years these days, people don't have the same level of security people did in the olden days