SOCHI? THE CITY OF A MILLION PALM TREES.

Alexander

Re: SOCHI? THE CITY OF A MILLION PALM TREES.

Post by Alexander »

Matcycas7 wrote:Alexander, I took the picture where the sky appeared blue without a trace of a cloud. Thank you for telling its name as Phoenix sylvestris. Do you have any idea how many are there ? Hundreds! Why? Spectacular climate: sun,rain,sun,rain.
This city was once/10 years ago a dry no man's land. Believe it or not from the past 5 years this amazing change has occured and was done by G.H.M.C. Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation. Moto is to keep it clean and green like hitech alien city. This city belongs to Telangana state and was ruled by Nizam king and later was stolen by Andhra state robbers,pirates and finally justice was done in the making of green Telangana. icon_cheers

If you like I will bring more different exotic strange palm pictures to share. Nevertheless, Sochi is more/equally beautiful than our city which you decide if I blind fold and bring you here.
I do not know how man Phoenix sylvestris grow in India. Probably a couple of millions.

Well for nicer palms in India have a look near Yana in Karnataka State for Corypha umbrauculifera and Trachycarpus takil in the Kalamuni area not far from Munsyari.
And then you get Caryota gigas near Cherrapunji.

I have been to all those places. And I have been twice to India.

Alexander
callin

Post by callin »

Great find Bill. icon_thumleft
Wow ...there are some streets that look more palm crowded than Spain streets.
For exemple you can tipe in google earth search bar "prospekt Pushkina, Sochi, Rusia", there are a lot of humilis and Washy s and phoenixes..and... :shock: I didn t know Rusia can grow palms on the city streets like this. :shock:
icon_cheers icon_cheers
callin

Post by callin »

Sochi street bamboo groove at 43 34`17.42"N, 39 44`06.25"E :shock: :shock:
And some beautyful bananas on the other side of the street oposite to bamboos.

Sochi is on the other side of the Black see , may be it is worth a visit from Romania.
icon_salut
cichlidfish

Post by cichlidfish »

Wow really is the world of palms. Last place i would expect to see palms is Russia, then again it is a large country with a wide temperature range depending on where you are. Looks like Sochi would be worth a visit.
billdango

Post by billdango »

I still think its about time some of our City streets were lined with rows of T fortuni and underplanted with C Humilis as now the Sochi winter olympics are starting many more people from the UK and other countries are going to say" why can,t we do it here? { planting palm trees].

Surely just one City in this country could just plant one street with exotics just to see what it looks like.

Maybe that City could be Southampton.....

billdango :D
cichlidfish

Post by cichlidfish »

Torquay have quite a lot of palms.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

So thats where all the money went on the winter olympics, planting palms. Bet they are all dead by the time the games are over. :lol:
billdango

Post by billdango »

jungle jas wrote:So thats where all the money went on the winter olympics, planting palms. Bet they are all dead by the time the games are over. :lol:

No chance of that?

The winter in Sochi is like the isles of Scilly and a lot sunnier. :D

The summers are hot and humid like Sri Lanka so any winter damage grows out quickly.

The long spells of cold cloudy weather we get in the UK never happen in Sochi so they are planting thousands of more palms and other exotics in the next few years.

Probably soon every house that has a garden and every road verge will be planted with Trachys and Basjoos turning that City into a cold hardy lovers paradise. :D :D :D :D

Uk eat your heart out and take note........ :( :( :( :(

billdango icon_sunny