palm came in today

miketropic

palm came in today

Post by miketropic »

Just came in today with a few other things arenga hookeriana ( hookers sugar palm ) I have a var. caryota on the way it should pair nice with

If I can get it to a mature size it will be a very nice one to look at
Troppoz

Re: palm came in today

Post by Troppoz »

I have a good sized one planted in the ground and it was looking really good but while I was away last year it suffered badly from lack of water and competition and about half of the stems died :( Its been very slow to recover too so my advice is to never neglect it!
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

well when I got it I think it got a bit beat up in shipping and the roots were visable. this isnt a palm with the "stilt" type roots is it? I added some soil and watered it in..hot shade and lots of water is what I read about it. how fast does it put out new canes?
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Mike nope its not a stilt rooted palm, cover those babies up before they dry out! My plant is maybe 10 years old, bought it in a largish tub and it was probably a metre high with a dozen canes. At its peak it was close to 2 metres with maybe 20 canes. Now its down to less than 10 and about 1.5 metres high. I wouldnt say its been fast growing for me even here in the torrid tropics so dont expect it to rocket away for you. Its a lovely palm though so worth the effort icon_thumright
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

miketropic wrote:Just came in today with a few other things arenga hookeriana ( hookers sugar palm ) I have a var. caryota on the way it should pair nice with

If I can get it to a mature size it will be a very nice one to look at
Nice.... icon_study The Arenga hookeriana look spectacular when they mature.

How hardy are they & would they be able to grow in UK?...(preferably outside)
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

try an arenga engleri ,its a bit hardy for short spells,if you can get it to grow that is.ive managed 1st leaf seedlings and nothing more
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

there not very hardy at all as far as I know down to around 1.6c I think. there slow growing and a cane palm ( sort of like a raphis ) so they would be a good conservatory palm and you could prune or divide as needed and I think they max out around 3 meters but it would take a LOOOOONG time for that to happen. hope I can get to going as soon as our weather breaks.
kata

Post by kata »

It looks a great looking palm Mike,

icon_cheers
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

miketropic wrote:there not very hardy at all as far as I know down to around 1.6c I think. there slow growing and a cane palm ( sort of like a raphis ) so they would be a good conservatory palm and you could prune or divide as needed and I think they max out around 3 meters but it would take a LOOOOONG time for that to happen. hope I can get to going as soon as our weather breaks.

Won't bother with it then, especially after this winter/Spring......no conservatory or heated greenhouse icon_thumbdown