Hampton Court Butia

Rob S

Hampton Court Butia

Post by Rob S »

While i was in the Hampton Court area on the London/Surrey border last Thursday i went to look at an old Butia that has been in the front garden of a property beside the river for many years and was astonished by how much it had grown and it's pristine condition after a succession of bad winters, in fact at the time of viewing it was just above freezing and snowing heavily! Didn't have my camera but here's a good picture from last years Streetview although the car is slightly in the way, it's actually about a metre taller now;

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=hampton ... 13.52,,0,0
paulrm71

Re: Hampton Court Butia

Post by paulrm71 »

Bizarrely I was also in the area today (teddington) and saw a massive butia easily twice the size of the Hampton one. I'll try and get a street view of it later
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Please do, i'm not familiar with that one!
Last edited by Rob S on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

My home town :-) Butias do great here :D
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

Very nice! I bet those properties are worth a fortune looking onto the thames. I thought Butia had thicker trunks but its proberly because I haven't seen many above 1 metre tall! lol
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Sorry cant get this street view to work properly on iPad. The big butia was up the high street after crossing Kingston bridge. It must be a mile or so up the high street on the right hand side. Looked like a big apartment block and it took centre place.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Well i've looked all around Kingston and up the High Street and i can't see an enormous Butia, can you be more precise?
medjool

Post by medjool »

A huge Butia in Teddington sorry i have looked too! and cant find it!
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

Is this the one?

http://goo.gl/maps/4LrUQ
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Apologies all, I can't pinpoint the exact location as I was driving from strawberry vale and came out at Kingston bridge, but I can assure you there is one. Rburrena this may be it but I thought this was a Cipd?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Addictedtopalms26 wrote:Very nice! I bet those properties are worth a fortune looking onto the thames. I thought Butia had thicker trunks but its proberly because I haven't seen many above 1 metre tall! lol
The Butia in the first post was planted as a trunked imported specimen, you can tell by its skinny trunk & small crown...
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

After feeling guilty that I couldn't pinpoint the butia that I had mentioned earlier, I took a trip down there today. Rburrena, yes you are correct, that is the butia. It must be getting on for 12 foot high, one to watch for the future anyway.
Attachments
image.jpg
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Not really twice the size of the Hampton Butia is it but i appreciate your enthusiasm! I believe the Hampton plant is a Yatay and the other is Odorata! Nice find though!
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Yeah I suppose not height wise, but it has a nice thick trunk.....would have cost a packet to buy as well!
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

Rob S wrote:Not really twice the size of the Hampton Butia is it but i appreciate your enthusiasm! I believe the Hampton plant is a Yatay and the other is Odorata! Nice find though!
You have to be there, you cant tell from photos but it pretty much is twice the size in terms of trunk and diameter of the fronds. Overall it is probably almost as tall as the hampton court one even though it doesnt have much trunk yet. Huge :D