Palm Pictures Mid-Autumn

DaveP

Re: Palm Pictures Mid-Autumn

Post by DaveP »

Conifers wrote:
Troppoz wrote:I dont think [Schinus molle] are hardy in the UK though? They grow in Hobart so they dont need summer heat obviously, but not sure they could survive a freeze...
No, they're not hardy in the UK; and from what I've read, lack of summer heat is also important as well as frost (-3 or -4 is about its tolerance limit).
Dragging this up from last month (sleepless nights :roll: ), I grew both Schinus molle and terebinthinifolius outside here for several years. They withstood -2C and -3C without damage, but were killed outright at -6.4C in the 2009/10 winter. Molle is the nicest of the two species and seems to adapt well to being grown in a large container (I had 2 in the ground and 5 in large pots). It is very easy from seed and is satisfyingly fast. Whether or not it can be persuaded to produce its highly attractive pink 'peppercorns' in the UK remains to be seen, but I've just germinated a few from very old seed that I found and am having another go. I've just received seed of Cordyline petiolaris mentioned by Half Hardy and hope that I can persuade it to survive here. Cordyline stricta and x glauca are currently the most tender that seem to do well with me, but they are nothing compared to the elegance of petiolaris so fingers crossed.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

DaveP wrote: but I've just germinated a few [Schinus molle] from very old seed that I found and am having another go.
If you've succeeded from 'very old' seed, it might be worth trying shop-bought pink pepper (as long as it's whole, not ground!).
kata

Post by kata »

Dypsis decipiens
I can't find any seed, even at Rare seeds.com or Ebay... :(
Rod

Post by Rod »

jungle jas wrote:Nice palms Rod, I'm particularly interested in your Loureiroi as I have just germinated some seeds and yours is the first I have seen on HTUK. Would you say Its as hardy as a Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP? How much frost will it take out there, and does it need full sun. Thanks.
Hi Jungle jas
I am currently testing the hardiness of Phoenix loureiroi, and have two - one in the ground and one potted.
They are about to go through their first winter here, so i will let you know how they perform compared to Canary Island Date Palm.