When to plant out a greenhouse grown Phoenix canariensis_CIDP

fieldfest

When to plant out a greenhouse grown Phoenix canariensis_CIDP

Post by fieldfest »

I dug up a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP a few weeks ago, about 7-8ft tall. it has been in a greenhouse for a couple of years in the ground and is currently in my conservatory. I was going to keep it in a pot for a while but its so heavy to move around I might as well plant it out. do you think it is likely to get any frost damage if i plant it out now? we are not likely to get any severe frosts now but it has never seen a frost in its life before
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: When to plant out a greenhouse grown Phoenix canariensis

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

I'd defo get it planted, sooner the better. It'll have all season to get some roots out , settle and get established.
TroyDonovan

Post by TroyDonovan »

Phoenix canariensis this size and under i have seen growing in an area of Tasmania that gets as low as - 9 C every few yrs .
So i am sure being the middle of spring you should get it in the ground ASAP ! Full sun and lots of water over the summer and Liquid kelp should develop a strong root system for winter .

Troy
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Definately plant it out now and keep it well watered for the next few months, you have a great location there on the IOW!
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

TroyDonovan wrote:Phoenix canariensis this size and under i have seen growing in an area of Tasmania that gets as low as - 9 C every few yrs .
So i am sure being the middle of spring you should get it in the ground ASAP ! Full sun and lots of water over the summer and Liquid kelp should develop a strong root system for winter .

Troy
What and they make it ? icon_study
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

I stupidly planted mine out in October 2011 and left them completely unprotected that winter, i didn't record temperatures outside but had an low of -6.7c in the then unheated greenhouse. They were protected this last winter as I gained some experience and sense and they look ok for summer :D . Now should be fine with your location.
TroyDonovan

Post by TroyDonovan »

The Codfather wrote:
TroyDonovan wrote:Phoenix canariensis this size and under i have seen growing in an area of Tasmania that gets as low as - 9 C every few yrs .

Troy
What and they make it ? icon_study
Maybe put 4 large stakes around it and staple some plastic over the crown for the first few winters given it's history .
The Phoenix canariensis i have seen survive - 9 C down here are unmarked . I guess having said that The daytime temperatures rise up to at least 7 c and subsequent day around 13 C so there is no long term conditions below freezing .

Troy
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

planted it last night, the soil is a bit heavier than i thought it would be though but i read they should be ok in clayey soil
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Nice place the Isle of White nice and mild for growing palms. You have the added advantage that your not on the west side that is falling in the water. :lol: icon_thumright