Palm spear pull winter casualties

Tom and Shell

Palm spear pull winter casualties

Post by Tom and Shell »

Lost two of our palms im afraid, both have spear pulled today, i'll dispose of the corpses tomorrow :( :( :(
Attachments
Phoenix canariensis_CIDP
Phoenix canariensis_CIDP
Washy
Washy
pulled spears
pulled spears
Deedee

Re: winter casualties

Post by Deedee »

Puh :( I would cry T&S
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

That is rubbish! Sorry to hear and see. icon_thumbdown
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

You could try putting them in a corner of the garden and forgetting them for a bit. Sometimes they do come back. Put a bit of fungicide down the hole first. icon_thumright There has been a lot of savable palms thrown away the last few years.
Springy

Post by Springy »

That is bad news :? Although I have had both plants spear-pull in the past and both have recovered so unless you really need to remove them I would give them a fighting chance! icon_salut
Rick1965

Post by Rick1965 »

As Jas & Springy have said, they could come back, Try pouring some Hydrogen peroxide where the spear pulled and perhaps cover the palms with one of those plastic greenhouses or cloche's to keep it dry and give them additional heat.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Rick1965 wrote:As Jas & Springy have said, they could come back, Try pouring some Hydrogen peroxide where the spear pulled and perhaps cover the palms with one of those plastic greenhouses or cloche's to keep it dry and give them additional heat.

I would do as above. Always so depressing when this happens. :( Hopefully some warm weather should see them right. icon_thumleft
derrick

Post by derrick »

Is the Washy a triple did they all spear pull ?
Tom and Shell

Post by Tom and Shell »

derrick wrote:Is the Washy a triple did they all spear pull ?
Two out of the three have pulled, the third looks a little ropey too. sailed through last winter no probs, replicated same protection this year and its brown bread!! boo hoo :cry:
derrick

Post by derrick »

I hope the 3rd makes it only seen one large double trunk Washy outside thats in hamble Southampton have to take some photos of it
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Just realised I left a bunch of tender plants outside... and the temperature is apparently already down near 0C.. whoops comes to mind.. I never seem to learn from my mistakes :shock: :roll: Oh well at least it'll clear out the pots a bit in order to get some hardier plants in them!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

stephenprudence wrote:Just realised I left a bunch of tender plants outside... and the temperature is apparently already down near 0C.. whoops comes to mind.. I never seem to learn from my mistakes :shock: :roll: Oh well at least it'll clear out the pots a bit in order to get some hardier plants in them!

replace them with Yucca Gloriosa's ;) from b+q's BOGOF today icon_cheers
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Tom and Shell wrote:Lost two of our palms im afraid, both have spear pulled today, i'll dispose of the corpses tomorrow :( :( :(

Sorry about your tropical losses :(

DId you protect these?

My washy came through this year with a large loose fleece bag resting on canes suspended over the plant, then inside a damp unheated blowaway greenhouse, if I ever plant it out i'll do the same but with a smaller greenhouse over it. But the more posts I see about them I think bar Dave B's garden washys aint worth the aggro for the rest of us :(
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Bought a small yucca purpurlem last year & planted out, checking on it today the centre just pulled out :( , not sure if these recover very well?. karl.
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Ah sorry to hear about your losing you washy. Mine has come through but has lost a good few leaves. Will see how it comes back in Sumer.i had two triple trunkers and kept one in the conservatory as back up in case I lost the one outside.

Karl.. Sorry to hear about your yucca. :( Hope it was not too expensive. This winter has been so long, I've been lucky I suppose but that's only because the garden had only very hardy stuff in it ie Trachycarpus's, bamboos. Next winter I will have more at stake though ie tree ferns.