All my Tasmanian palms on HD Video !

TroyDonovan

All my Tasmanian palms on HD Video !

Post by TroyDonovan »

Hi everyone

Having started my holidays i finally had a chance to video document the palms that i am growing down here in chilly Hobart !

Part ( 1 )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4wP3LEvz-k

Part (2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CE6bNjFZpA

My narration and video panning is a bit amateur but the cloudy day helped with the lighting .

Cheers Troy
Tom2006

Re: All my Tasmanian palms on HD Video !

Post by Tom2006 »

Love it!! icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Great videos Troy, youve got a great collection considering Hobarts climate. Which suburb do you live in? I think I recognised the hill that is near the airport along the Tasman Highway?

Im amazed you can grow Archontophoenix alexandrae :shock: Ive seen a few A. cunninghamiana in Hobart but they never really look that good to be honest so I would never have imagined alexandrae to grow!! Your unknown bromeliad in video 1 is Aechmea fasciata. Im impressed with your Carcharadon tiger, its a very nice specimen. Youre shade house is very well organised and clean!

Next time you post a video try to use to media button, makes it easier for the lazy types to watch without leaving HTUK icon_thumright

TroyDonovan

Post by TroyDonovan »

Thanks Tom

Hi sean

Next time you are down this way i can give you a tour although it won't take that long :D

Archontophoenix alexandrae is a very easy grow it was planted as a double in Dec 2008 and was only 20 cm tall a real fast grower .

Before i planted any palms i spent a year preparing the soil that was originally very sandy loam that was basically water repellent . I added mushroom compost stable litter many trailer loads of half decomposed leaf litter from European trees and pea straw plus my home made compost .

The Chatham Island form of Rhopalostylis (oceana ) is very fast and was germinated in 2008 . :D

I use Nutricote total 180 day slow release fertilizer and apply a 50/50 seasol (liquid kelp ) and Power-feed ( liquid fish meal) through a fertigation system every time i use the dripper irrigation system up to 3 times a week in summer .
the tree ferns are only fertilized by a light application of blood and bone every 6 weeks .

The Cyathea medullaris was magnificant until we had a freak 100 yr 41 C day (Jan 4th ) that totally fried all the fronds and 2 croziers .

Yes using the media option is a great idea .

Troy
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Brilliant, Troy icon_cheers

I grow a large number of the palms you have on the vid but they will always remain potted. If only.............