I am giving up on my Queen palm.

billdango

I am giving up on my Queen palm.

Post by billdango »

I did try this palm for 2 years but with hardly any growth due to 2 hard long winters and 2 of the worst summers for decades I have come to the conclusion that this palm is a no go for the UK climate.

The last 2 winters have not damaged my palm in the slightest even with minimal wrapping [lowest temperature over 2 years was -6.9c. on 2 nights only] so the main problem down here in Southampton was the cold sunless summers of 2011 and 2012.

Only 2 leaves were produced in the first year and only 1 leaf last year.

This is just not good enough so I will be lifting this palm in May and putting something else in its place.

At least it was worth a go and I did learn that with minimal protection this palm will survive outside in a Southampton winter.

It's just a shame that even here the lack of summer heat is such a problem.

billdango :(
kata

Re: I am giving up on my Queen palm.

Post by kata »

Sorry to hear that Bill.. :(
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Sad but wise. If they wre going to grow anywhere in the UK then I'm sure you'd have seen better results.

It's always good to try but sometimes you have to know when you're fighting an uphill battle.
call

Post by call »

soooooo... what may you be doing with this 'old useless palm' bill because I know soemwhere that will lets say take care of it :wink:
flounder

Post by flounder »

Shame you're such a defeatist Bill, this years gonna be a corker icon_thumright
TroyDonovan

Post by TroyDonovan »

2 leaves a year is normal for me . They do grow quicker one a trunk is formed as i experienced in my old garden .
billdango

Post by billdango »

Okay then.

Rather then admit defeat I will try it for this final year.

If we have another poor summer and I don,t see an improvement in growth I will dig it up next spring.

At least in spite of poor growth it still looks a reasonable palm so I will hang on in there.

billdango icon_thumleft
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Yep keep it planted Bill, keeping the fronds through winter is the best way to keep them 'ticking over'. They are never going to be fast in our climate, but if it is growing then you must be doing something right icon_thumleft Give it plenty of feed & water & hope for a nice hot summer...
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

billdango wrote:Okay then.

If we have another poor summer and I don,t see an improvement in growth I will dig it up next spring.

At least in spite of poor growth it still looks a reasonable palm so I will hang on in there.

billdango icon_thumleft
I was going to say as I was reading through to give it another year, or at least leave it and see how it grows if we get a good summer! :D Do you have a photo?
billdango

Post by billdango »

cheshirepalms wrote:
billdango wrote:Okay then.

billdango icon_thumleft
I was going to say as I was reading through to give it another year, or at least leave it and see how it grows if we get a good summer! :D Do you have a photo?

I haven,t took any so far this year but it dosen't look much different from last years pictures that I posted on this forum.

It still has 3 good leaves but it lost 2 last year and because of the non existent summer it only gained 1 new leaf right up to October.

If its losing 2 leaves each year and only gaining 1 new leaf a year this has to be its last year outside so rather then lose it I will lift it and keep it in a pot for as long as i can.

I will see how it goes and post an updated picture later this year.

rgds billdango icon_sunny
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

My two Queen palms are looking decidely sad.

Will post pictures soon.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Bill glad you're not giving up on it! you'd miss tucking it in at night with the hot water bottle :D
Rod

Post by Rod »

No Bill - keep it going ( I only get one leaf a year, and mine has only been in the ground 2-years ) - I am hoping it will speed up a little. I am only going to remove it if it defoliates totally.
billdango

Post by billdango »

cordyman wrote:Bill glad you're not giving up on it! you'd miss tucking it in at night with the hot water bottle :D

I must admit that I did use the hot water bottle trick but only on about 6 nights spread over the last 2 winters.

But true love never dies so if next winter is as cold as the last 2 winters have been I will lay freezing in my bed while my palm tree is snug and well tucked.

billdango :D
billdango

Post by billdango »

Rod wrote:No Bill - keep it going ( I only get one leaf a year, and mine has only been in the ground 2-years ) - I am hoping it will speed up a little. I am only going to remove it if it defoliates totally.
I will try the best I can but we have had almost 7 months of winter this year and that's something you will never have to face in New Zealand.

And even worse at least down here in Southampton our yearly sun hours have been a third below normal for the last 2 years so as a result its been much colder then normal.

Last year was the 2nd dullest year since records began almost 130 years ago.

We only had about 1.500 hours of sun last year compared with our usual average of just over 1.800 hours so something is not right there.

At the moment this year dosen't look any better so we could have another below average year.

I feel a bit sorry for my poor Queen palm at the moment but I will see what happens in the coming months before I make a final decision.

rgds billdango icon_thumright