Palm fertiliser?

SueW

Palm fertiliser?

Post by SueW »

Having just quadrupled my in-garden palm populace, (i.e. I now have four! LOL) I was wondering what members use to feed their palms to keep them top-notch?
TroyDonovan

Re: Palm fertiliser?

Post by TroyDonovan »

I use Nutricote total 180 day slow release that i spread around every spring .

I also use liquid kelp that is distributed through a fertigation system and come out the drippers each time i water !
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

If I had much palm feeding to do I would probably use Nigels (Hardy Palms) slow release fertiliser, like many on here already do, as it has the right sort of NPK.
Rod

Post by Rod »

For potted palms - I use a Professional, 8-9 month controlled release fertilizer with an NPK of; 13-4-12 + Extra Magnesium & extensive micro-nutrients.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Vagetarian wrote:If I had much palm feeding to do I would probably use Nigels (Hardy Palms) slow release fertiliser, like many on here already do, as it has the right sort of NPK.
Just bought some of Nigels and fed all mine at the weekend. I'm hoping to achieve the dark green look of his trees.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

6X chicken manure!
Dim

Post by Dim »

Rob S wrote:6X chicken manure!
good stuff that 6X, but not sure if it's balanced for palms though ....

I'd go for Nigels palm fertilizer
http://www.hardy-palms.co.uk/category.asp?section=15
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Dim wrote:good stuff that 6X, but not sure if it's balanced for palms though ....
I'm not complaining about the stuff (I know I'm a critical so and so :lol: ), and the price looks right, but I don't get the "it's 6 times more concentrated" bit as it's got roughly the same NPK as any other pelleted chicken manure icon_scratch

But anyway, the NPK is 5.8:3.5:3 so it's not quite a proper palm fertiliser but having said that;

Palm fertiliser NPK ratios are probably designed for sandy tropical soils where the nitrogen and potassium wash away easily. Without having a soil test done it's impossible to know what you've already got and so you'll never know what you need to add. Farmers have their soil tested and apply what's needed, they don't chuck stuff around willy nilly like us gardeners. Most UK garden soils are rich in pretty much everything and should really only need nitrogen.

Growing in pots in the long term is of course a different kettle of fish.
SueW

Post by SueW »

Thanks for the advice, one and all. I've decided to try Nigel's mix first; see how that goes. drunken_smilie1
SueW

Post by SueW »

SueW wrote:Thanks for the advice, one and all. I've decided to try Nigel's mix first; see how that goes. drunken_smilie1
I have to commend Nigel at Hardy Palms. I ordered some of his slow release palm fertiliser and it arrived promptly. Sadly although the package was intact, the tub had popped it's lid in transit and a lot of the pellets filled the bottom of the box and drizzled out of the box onto my carpet. (I now have the best fertilised carpet in Cornwall!) To Nigel's great credit, when I let him know, he immediately posted another tub which arrived yesterday, intact. icon_cheers

So I will definitely be returning there. Some of the palms on his pages look tasty too.................
wintomato

Post by wintomato »

this has been working well for me, also slow release, and you can use it for cordylines and cycad.
http://www.palmcentre.co.uk/.Fertilizer ... t_FERT.htm
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

I have used the palm centres fertiliser for the last two years. The first year my triple trunker washy put out a single leaf, last year I had 9. I also water all my exotic plants with hot water so that may have had a bearing. Hoping for great growth on it this year.
SueW

Post by SueW »

I have just started watering the banana with hot water, but didn't know it works with other tropicals. I'll have to try that. :-)