Rhopalostylis Oceana (Chatham Islands)

TroyDonovan

Rhopalostylis Oceana (Chatham Islands)

Post by TroyDonovan »

This palm originates from the same latitude as Hobart Tasmania and it is certainly making itself at home pushing 3 big fronds in 12 months compared to sabals 1 frond !

I grew this palm from seed in 2007 and is by far the fastest growing Rhopalostylis sapida in my garden .

Cheers Troy
Attachments
Oceana.jpg
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Rhopalostylis Oceana (Chatham Islands)

Post by Dave Brown »

My biggest Nikau is an 'Oceana' and reached about 6 feet, but was completely defoliated in the 2008/9 winter. It has recovered, but took 3 years, and is now back to about 4 ft tall.

Question: How much sun does yours take :?:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by TroyDonovan »

Dave
The first few years it was covered by 50 % shade cloth . after the old frond were sun burnt the bigger subsequent fronds were acclimatised to full sun although on a really hot day this January high 39C (extremely rare) the older fronds were touched up a bit .My Usual summer temperatures are between 16 -22 C day and 9 - 15 C at night . As long as the roots are kept cool and moist they seem to handle full sun except for the hottest days .

The parent palm to this one resides in Coastal Southern California and is in full sun all day .
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The sun is about 10 degrees lower here and we get an Tmax of 23C in July.

This doesn't seem to handle frost well. and was -5.6C that defoliated it, and it was under a canopy of Eucalyptus. There is a topic on it somewhere.

Here it is today, in 2 shots as packed into the Lunar Module until the frosts pass next month
Attachments
2013-04-30-19-07-00 Nikau Oceana.jpg
2013-04-30-19-07-22 Nikau Oceana inudendum.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by TroyDonovan »

looks good now . They certainly have the nicest fronds of all the Rhopalostylis .
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

A palm I would like to add to my collection but it would have to stay potted, both of yours look to be doing well. Dave has yours always been potted or have you had it planted out ?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

TroyDonovan wrote:looks good now . They certainly have the nicest fronds of all the Rhopalostylis .
Yes, I agree icon_thumright It can handle cool growing conditions as in a cool Ocean naturally, but is in an extreme maritime climate so probably something like Tresco, or really sheltered spots in Cornwall. Unfortunately, although 'Ice Days' are rare here, we do have a few weeks every winter where temps remain around freezing. A minus 1 or 2C for 22 hours rising just above freezing. This last winter in the coldest week we remained below freezing for 49 hours, and maritme plants really struggle in these conditions.
JBALLY wrote:A palm I would like to add to my collection but it would have to stay potted, both of yours look to be doing well. Dave has yours always been potted or have you had it planted out ?

It hasn't been planted out, as I have heard they detest root disturbance. It was planned, but when it defoliated, that was put on hold :roll:

As it is such a beautiful palm I would like to try, but think it would need the 'Insulated box' treatment with rope lights for the coldest weather. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright