Chamaerops Humilis 'cerifera'

Ricardo

Chamaerops Humilis 'cerifera'

Post by Ricardo »

Hi!

Just thought I would share this with you.

Went into the B&M store in Skipton and noticed they had quite a few palms for sale.

The one that caught my eye was the chamaerops humilis 'cerifera' which has a bluish tinge to it and priced at £19.95 so I bought it.

Photo enclosed.....label says it is hardy to -15C and origin Morocco.

What do you think? I think maybe -5 or thereabouts is more realistic in a sheltered spot so I am going to plant it near my trachycarpus which has survived the winter without any protection.

Regards

Ricardo
Attachments
IMG_9972.jpg
Huddy

Re: Chamaerops Humilis 'cerifera'

Post by Huddy »

They are completely fine to about -10oc, any lower and i would protect. But chamaerops are pretty much hardy where you live. icon_thumleft
multim

Post by multim »

These are pretty tough. I have 5 planted outside and have had temps of 10.5 below with no protection. If they are well rooted and established then they are fine. Mine are coming into flower right now.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Ricardo wrote:Hi!

Just thought I would share this with you.

Went into the B&M store in Skipton and noticed they had quite a few palms for sale.

The one that caught my eye was the chamaerops humilis 'cerifera' which has a bluish tinge to it and priced at £19.95 so I bought it.

Photo enclosed.....label says it is hardy to -15C and origin Morocco.

What do you think? I think maybe -5 or thereabouts is more realistic in a sheltered spot so I am going to plant it near my trachycarpus which has survived the winter without any protection.

Regards

Ricardo
Ricardo, thats a cracking buy for that money. karl.
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

I`ve seen it written many times that the Cerifera are supposedly a little hardier than the normal Humilis . Whether or not this is true i don`t really know but ,either way,it`s good to minus 10 for definite. As with all Palms though it`s best to keep it as dry as possible during very cold spells.
The Cerifera always seem to command a higher price than the normal Humilis so i`d say u`ve had a really good buy there Ricardo.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Good value plant you bought yourself there.

As Andy says above, make sure you can keep it dry when cold as it will not appreciate cold and wet.

Are you going to put it in the ground?
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Yes, plant it out if you can, Ricardo.

I kept mine potted for seven years but after three years in the ground it has doubled its size.
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

You did the right thing to water it. Looks like it suffered drought whilst at B&M.
kata

Post by kata »

:o Thats a beaut Ricardo!

:mrgreen: