Flowering Trachycarpus.

jungle jas

Flowering Trachycarpus.

Post by jungle jas »

I bought a seven foot Trachycarpus last autumn in a 220 lt pot, unfortunately it got eaten by a passing sheep which left me with one half chewed leaf while I was away for the weekend! :roll: I have been trying to get maximum growth this year to compensate, unfortunately the palm has produced 2 flower spikes. Would I be better chopping these off to obtain maximum leaf growth or leave it to its own devices. Thanks. icon_thumright
kata

Re: Flowering Trachycarpus.

Post by kata »

Wish I could tell you J, Mine has never even attempted to flower. Its about 11 years old if the seller was correct when I asked the age just after I bought it (age 9 he said).

Its been potted for a few of those years and was finally planted this spring, its doing great.

Golly, sorry about the sheep eating yours.

:(
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Yes the only thing sheep don't eat is Gorse, Iris and Foxgloves. :lol: :lol: :lol:. Im pleased yous is doing well K the nice sunny weather we are having should bring it on a treat. Looks like another barbecue day today. icon_cheers icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

If it is the only one in flower you wont get seed, so it is down to your personal taste. If you are not bothered about the flowers, cut them off. If it is the first time it has flowered they are normally only half hearted at it anyway. Cutting them off won't harm the palm, but I'm not sure if you will get extra growth in it's place.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

I'm pleased yous is doing well K
They are, I have two small and the big one in the back garden, big one now has three new spears since weather hotted up, and small ones have one new spear. Soon yours will be fine J.

:mrgreen:
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Thanks Dave I think I will chop them off, It cant do any harm and they must be taking something from the plant. icon_thumright