cycas revoluta - Whats wrong with mine?

Matcycas7

Re: cycas revoluta - Whats wrong with mine?

Post by Matcycas7 »

Andy,you confused me. Andy, you got the flush on 29 May 2012 and this time you had flush on Jun 2013. It is normal. It is a single flush not the double flush in a year. Even mine flushed on Mar 2012 and later in April 2013. If you get another flush within 6 months then consider it twice.http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 5&start=75
wintomato

Post by wintomato »

Mine did the same I think. Although the lighter bits are more yellow than white. I read some where/assumed that some existing leaves will discolour a bit as the plant gets ready for a new flush. Which mines seems to be doing. I bought it 3 months ago and placed it outside where it only got sun after 2pm for a few hours. A month ago I moved it to full sun position, and a few weeks ago some discolouration appeared, and now I have a flush on the way. Hopefully all the leaves will be fully formed before temperatures start to drop. Although it will stay in my garage next to a window in the winter. Very pleased I am getting a flush so soon.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I think the suggestion about sunburn is spot on, always acclimatize a plant thats been stuck indoors for months at a time. As for watering when its in the mid 20c i water mine every couple of days and totally dench it so the soil is in a puddle of water for a few seconds, then i do it again once it has disappeared. These do experience monsoon rains in the natural environment so can handle heavy down pours.
wintomato

Post by wintomato »

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 14&t=16018
Here's where I saw that bit of info, although no indication of what discolouration there was specifically.
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

No sign of a new flush on mine, :cry: although it has looked a lot perkier since Ive been watering it more and more....

Fingers crossed for a flush next year!
grub

Post by grub »

The pair I overwinter indoors do that, I believe it's a combination of two things... Central heating and Red Spider Mite.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The sunburn is caused by fronds that have grown out of sun, being placed in sun. Almost all bought plants will have been grown under bright filtered (Shade house) light, or under artificial light. These are difficult to acclimatise fully. A flush grown in full summer sun, is toughened to full summer sun, and will remain so, even if moved inside for winter.

I have never had sunburn on plants that have flushed outside even if moving them from the dark to full sun. :wink:

I used to have great difficulty in getting Cycas to flush, but having spoken to someone who lived where they grow naturally, found I was following incorrect advise previously. In their natural habitat they have cool dry winters with occasional cold spells, which gives them their cold hardiness. Spring is warm to hot and dry, so baked, and then in June the summer monsoon season starts. Once the summer monsoon starts it rains every day and the soil remains damp to wet. This monsoon lasts from June to September or October then the dry season resumes again.

It seems the hot/dry period followed by hot/wet triggers the flushes.

My conditions in the garden were exactly the opposite of what was required with generally cool/wet spring followed hot/dry in summer, where it is planted :roll:

My Cycas rev01 only flushes every 2 years, but although flushed in 2011 has shown no signs this year. The main reason is the ongoing drought, and low water pressure means I have not had time to water it daily, with everything else wilting all the time.

At a time where in it's natural habitat might have seen 400mm of rain in summer so far, but here since May 28th I've only had 44.6mm :roll: and even while I type this the hose is going on the garden, but not on the Cycas, as it has not wilted, where as loads of other stuff is :roll:
Attachments
2013-08-18 14-19-58 Cycas rev01.jpg
2013-08-18 14-20-10 Cycas rev01.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by piechnik99 »

Thanks for that Dave - when I bought my Cycas from Tatton park last summer I asked the guy for advice last year (water/feeding/growing medium) and the guy basically patronised me saying 'they grow in dirt, don't need watering etc', which was nice. :evil:

I will be brining mine in over winter, kept in a south facing back room - I will water more than last year as I only watered it about once every five weeks....

Gradually bring it into the sun next summer, and fingers crossed for the flush for next year icon_thumleft
Dave Brown wrote: My Cycas rev01 only flushes every 2 years, but although flushed in 2011 has shown no signs this year. The main reason is the ongoing drought, and low water pressure means I have not had time to water it daily, with everything else wilting all the time. :
Is you Cycas planted outside, or is it a sunken pot? Looks good whatever it is! icon_thumright
Matcycas7

Post by Matcycas7 »

Dave Brown wrote:My conditions in the garden were exactly the opposite of what was required with generally cool/wet spring followed hot/dry in summer, where it is planted :roll:
Dave, at snow time much of your roots will obviously gets destroyed. First it should recover to build new roots then it will flush. Therefore, it takes 2 years to flush. The most important roots are colloroid roots that grow upward over the surface rather than downward direction. These colloroid roots at the growth time was damaged by snow thereby loosing its ability to thrive. Cyanobacteria plays a role in fixing carbon by photosynthesis as shown in this link

http://www.plantapalm.com/vce/biology/corraloid.htm

At first I thought these were the remnants of roots that were accidently chopped while transplanting but to my surprise they are the colloroid roots that I came to know when I read this article. I remember I saw most of them at the time of transplanting where some roots appear like a thread with colloroid roots at the edge that form networks at the top surface with lots of ants on it that bit me.Ha ha.

Dave it will be better if you buy another Cycas to keep it indoor and compare its flush with the outdoor one or leave it alone as it looks quite well or transplant your Cycas in a pot to keep it indoors just like these Japanese who planted and raised hundreds of them in the ground and sold them in pots with naked trunks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAuaQK3oB2I.

Your trunk size looks like mine and so should flush like mine. Otherwise who knows frankinstorm may RIP any Cycas.
Dim

Post by Dim »

the potting soil may be 'sour' ....

repot in a larger pot with good fresh compost (good quality and not the crappe sold at most garden centres) .... and give it some seaweed extract

it's a bit late in the year to fertilize with other fertilizers ....

thats what I would do
Matcycas7

Post by Matcycas7 »

Dave, blame it on the snow. Keep an eye on your local nursery where they sell Cycas in pots. Observe those which kept in shade and those which kept in full sun and ask the keeper about its flush rate and behaviour at your whether conditions and ask whether he ever transplanted from ground to pot without any troubles, if so, in what season or month is perfect. This gives you confidence.

As you have bad whether, transplanting is a hard task. However,it looks pretty good. The next flush will obviously looks much the same way. So, why wait for the next flush when you know you are packed in snow. Missing the flush is the sad and insane thing. Sounds like failing in exam to write again next year.
Matcycas7

Post by Matcycas7 »

wintomato wrote:http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 14&t=16018
Here's where I saw that bit of info, although no indication of what discolouration there was specifically.
wintomato , Cycas disclouration can be seen if you compare Sep 2011 and Mar 2012 images that changed from light green to dark green with age. The older it gets the darker it goes.

piechnik99,Dave,my Cycas secretly pushes out one pup of rose bud size which was initially the size of a peanut but I forgot which month/year it happened. I won't chop it until it becomes the size of a cricket ball as it will have better chance to flush after 10 months.

If you keep track of Hyderabad weather atleast once a month and compare it with yours then you will see that the maximum number of days in a year it will approach a constant temperature just between 28*c and 32*c. During this time it will be busy creating pups or roots or flush or altogether. icon_bigsmurf
Attachments
Pup.jpg
Pup.jpg (27.34 KiB) Viewed 2911 times
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

Well its that time of year when all tenders are brought inside and wrapped away from the winter cold!

I have recently moved my cycas revoluta into the hallway - its winters home. The other night I went to water the plant and realised it appeared to be flushing! :shock:

Anyway - I read somewhere that moving the palm while its flushing may distort the new growth (currently around 2 - 3cm). The hallway location is quite shady and the cycas is situated next to a radiator.

Is it possible to move the cycas to a more more sunnnier location without distorting the current small growth?

Shall I keep watering it during the flush?

And tips?

It does appear the hot/dry summer followed by the wet autumn then hot radiator have triggered the flush off. Any tips?
Attachments
The small flush
The small flush
Next to the radiator
Next to the radiator