PALMS IN POTS?

billdango

PALMS IN POTS?

Post by billdango »

While I was walking around Southampton today I noticed for the first time how many people and busineses are growing different palm species in pots.

This may sound good to hear but Over this last year I have seen so many Trachycarpus and other palms condemmed to an early death by neglect,vandalisim and theft. :(

Most of these palms are neglected from the start and really should have been planted in the ground in the first place because as all of us know on this forum that palms cost a fortune to buy and deserve better care.

Large palms that are grown above shop fronts are never watered properly and always die through neglect so maybe these people have money to burn?

Southampton has lost a lot of palms over the last few years due to cold weather and property developments so if all those pot palms were put into the ground that would go a long way towards redressing this issue.

I just had to tell someone....

billdango :D
Tom2006

Re: PALMS IN POTS?

Post by Tom2006 »

That is such a shame. Fortunately or unfortunately its much harder to grow them up here so they are only ever seen as large specimens in the odd garden.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I've only seen 2 palms in the ground or pots up here in my 10 years of living in this place.
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

Sometimes there just isn't any ground to put them in in city centres !! In Nottingham I've seen some nice Chammys in really large planters and they looked pretty healthy. Trachys aren't ideal for puts due to their growing habit and moisture requirements. I agree they need care to look good and it's annoying to see a large specimen neglected and slowly withering away :( They never seem to take into account the amount of sun either. With proper thought and care I'd rather see exotics in tubs in city centers, after all, you see some beautiful hanging baskets and troughs that would need even more care so it could be done.
kata

Post by kata »

Hmm..

I need to do a search round here, nothing comes to mind on front gardens, maybe they are in back gardens.

:)
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

There used to be a couple of smallish chamaerops in planters, either side of the front doors of the Hotel near to where my wife works. they looked in need of a good drink and were growing in multi purpose compost, not long back I drove past and they had gone and been replaced with a couple of purple cordylines! I can't help thinking those palms were chucked away! :(
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

I grow all my palms in pots, the main reason is at the moment i'm renting and they will be easier to move.
Steph

Post by Steph »

The ones I have in pots are doing well...
Guess its not the pots but whether you bother to care for them.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Eventually in pots a lot of palms start to suffer, ground all the way icon_salut

Bill why not take your spade and go door knocking, free palm plant service for a brew and a crisp £50 note :lol:
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Thanks for sharing Bill, now go and have a lie down in a dark room. :lol: icon_thumright
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

Most of my palms are in pots due to my garden being full of tree roots, solid clay and on a severe slope, but after visiting Karls garden yesterday and seeing how his palms are flourishing in the ground, I'm going to make the effort to start preparing the ground to plant them out next spring!
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

I went to a Weatherspoons pub in Plymouth(the one near the Hoe),last year.I was very impressed to see some lovely large healthy palms growing in large pots.Even more impressive was the fact,that one was a brahea armata and the other was a butia odorata.I will be in the area again in a few days,so it will be interesting to see if they are still looking as good.There are loads of well looked after,good sized trachys,planted out in raised beds,in Plymouth.So hats off to the local council. icon_salut