Trachycarpus wagnerianus

Jay71

Trachycarpus wagnerianus

Post by Jay71 »

Just a quick question on the Trachycarpus wagnerianus. How dose it cope over the winter period. Is their any protection any one uses for the frost and during winter or are they pretty good in the winter. Just asking because of mine iv just got . Would hate to loose it.
Iv looked up about them and they say its pretty hardy.
multim

Re: Trachycarpus wagnerianus

Post by multim »

I've found that they are just as hardy as their big brother. I have not given any winter protection to mine at all and I've had them planted for 15 plus years now. The 'Waggy' is the second from left.
Attachments
P1010322.JPG
Last edited by multim on Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

Jay71 wrote:Just a quick question on the Trachycarpus wagnerianus. How dose it cope over the winter period. Is their any protection any one uses for the frost and during winter or are they pretty good in the winter. Just asking because of mine iv just got . Would hate to loose it.
Hello Jay.
Have you planted it out? Or is it still in its pot?
Because I live in Germany the winters get a bit colder as they do in the uk.
Last year I tied up the fronds and then wrapped the trunk in a coconut fleece. With the fronds I double fleeced them and around the base with around 4 cm's of chippings. Then I constructed a wooden frame around it and put a roof over it to protect it from getting wet inside the heart/ growing point of the palm.

Probably a little extreme but it sailed through and is now looking great.
Jay71

Post by Jay71 »

multim wrote:I've found that they are just as hardy as their big brother. I have not given any winter protection to mine at all and I've had them planted for 15 plus years now. The 'Waggy' is the second from left.
I should be ok then. It's a nice size so should be ok. What other palm trees have you got in the photo. I'm looking at getting another one pretty soon and was thinking of the same but I might go for a different one.
Jay71

Post by Jay71 »

kohwoz wrote:
Jay71 wrote:Just a quick question on the Trachycarpus wagnerianus. How dose it cope over the winter period. Is their any protection any one uses for the frost and during winter or are they pretty good in the winter. Just asking because of mine iv just got . Would hate to loose it.
Hello Jay.
Have you planted it out? Or is it still in its pot?
Because I live in Germany the winters get a bit colder as they do in the uk.
Last year I tied up the fronds and then wrapped the trunk in a coconut fleece. With the fronds I double fleeced them and around the base with around 4 cm's of chippings. Then I constructed a wooden frame around it and put a roof over it to protect it from getting wet inside the heart/ growing point of the palm.

Probably a little extreme but it sailed through and is now looking great.
At the min it's in a pot but will plant it out at the end of this month when the garden work has been done. Il see how things go but I'm sure it will be fine.
multim

Post by multim »

From left to right,
T. Fortunei, T, Wagnerianus, T. Fortunei, and Chamearops Humilis. There is a Butia Capitata and another T. Fortunei out of shot. I have 6 Chamearops 'Cerifera' in the front garden which do well in my blue theme arid bed. None of which gets any Winter protection as the soil drains freely. I have found that T. Wagnerianus grows at a slower rate than T. Fortunei. This is contrary to the claims of those who may sell these palms.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

If it's too cold for too long then they will die without protection.

Dec 09 killed my 2 big ones and Dec 10 killed my last 2.

Hopefully we won't see winters like those again for a while.
multim

Post by multim »

Adam D wrote:If it's too cold for too long then they will die without protection.

With any luck Nottinghamshire won't get as cold as Scotland :ahhh!:
Sure, in '09-'10 the low here (South Bucks) was -11.2c. No big deal for a Trachycarpus if planted out unless your Winter lows exceed say -15c to -20c.
Last edited by multim on Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Double post
Last edited by Adam D on Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

multim wrote:
Adam D wrote:If it's too cold for too long then they will die without protection.

With any luck Nottinghamshire won't get as cold as Scotland!
Sure, in '09-'10 the low here (South Bucks) was -11.2c. No big deal for a Trachycarpus if planted out.
Yes, I reckon you guys will be okay.

I don't think it was the low temperatures that killed them rather it was the duration of the sub-zero cold that did them in.

It was a shame, particularly as the big one had been in the ground for 3 years and just getting into its stride.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I don't think it was the low temperatures that killed them rather it was the duration of the sub-zero cold that did them in.

It was a shame, particularly as the big one had been in the ground for 3 years and just getting into its stride.[/quote]

Ditto, I managed to kill a 5 foot potted one off in the winter of 2010 at -8c. not that cold for a wagnerianus, but it never rose above freezing for 2 weeks the roots froze solid. :roll: