PAU,THE CITY OF PALMS.

billdango

PAU,THE CITY OF PALMS.

Post by billdango »

I have just returned from a 2 week holiday in France and I thought it may be of interest to show these few pictures of palm trees taken in the French City of Pau.

Most of these palm trees are all cold hardy and grow very well in the UK.

Although you will see a couple of pictures of a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP I was told by a resident that most of these palms were lost over the last 3 winters as some nights the temperature plummeted to -12c.

I did see a lot of dead or defoliated CIDPs throughout the City but I also saw a few magnificent specimens that were undamaged in any way.

All Butias and Chamerops were untouched by the cold of those winters as of coarse were all Trachycarpus palms.

Also throughout the City you can see thousands of other Trachys plus lots of Agaves and Musa Basjoos.

Why can't any UK City do some thing like this?

billdango :D :D :D :D
Attachments
Just a few of the thousands of T Fortuni that grace this City.
Just a few of the thousands of T Fortuni that grace this City.
_00_5001.JPG
_00_5000.JPG
_00_5002.JPG
_00_5007.JPG
_00_5008.JPG
_00_5014.JPG
dino

Re: PAU,THE CITY OF PALMS.

Post by dino »

Great pics, thanks for sharing icon_thumleft
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

The long hot Summer every year that they are guaranteed to get will give them a huge advantage though! Inspiring pictures, thanks.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

They have some towns on your Southcoast where they use palms in public planting.

Alexander
billdango

Post by billdango »

Alexander wrote:They have some towns on your Southcoast where they use palms in public planting.

Alexander
Thats true Alexander but nothing on the scale that you see in Pau and some other French cities.

Southsea has some better CIDPs then Pau but also to much open grassy spaces that could be planted up with more palm trees.

Torquay fares much better but even here there are to many wide open boring grassy areas.

Its not just the parks in Pau that are filled with palms but if you google any street you will find palms everywhere in front and back gardens.....

No city in the Uk can match that as we seem to love boring bedding plants and even more boring common shrubs.

Southampton hasen,t much to offer in the way of palms either but on a more cheery note I have seen more palms planted here over the last few years and if people don't keep cutting them down we should see some good mature specimens about soon.

Maybe they can do something in your country Alexander as not a lot seems to be happening over here yet.

billdango :D
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Here iyts even more boring then in the UK. And in some areas also to cold. But I try to get more Trachycarpus fortunei been grown in gardens. Just a humble Trachycarpus versus those boring conifers. I HEAT conifers!
Not an easy task in this part of the World unfortunately...

Alexander
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Here in the Wester part of the country in Urban areas some Trachycarpus fortunei would ad so much more to the public landscaping! Here in town there is a shopping center where they have only used boring Amelanchier lamarckii in big ugly gray pots. So depressingly boring most of the year! They could use a more exotic evergreen plantingdesign instead.
Welcome to the Netherlands...

Alexander
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Poole has one road (can't remember the name) which has 20 Trachys in a row as street tree planting, all around 10/12 ft, I must get a pic.

You may find bedding 'boring' but most of the public like to see colour in flower beds. Weymouth has lost half of it's flower beds and looks worse for it. Come to that, it has also lost most of the palms planted too, the large CIDPs planted for the Olympics last year look sick now.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Clive60 wrote:Poole has one road (can't remember the name) which has 20 Trachys in a row as street tree planting, all around 10/12 ft, I must get a pic.

You may find bedding 'boring' but most of the public like to see colour in flower beds. Weymouth has lost half of it's flower beds and looks worse for it. Come to that, it has also lost most of the palms planted too, the large CIDPs planted for the Olympics last year look sick now.
Well instead of beddingplants they could use good perrenial ones. Things like hardy Agapanthus, Rudbeckias and in the autumn a good flowering Aster. Also good for butterflies.

And ornamental grasses as well.

Alexander