Potted Chamaerops root trimming Q

Delboy

Potted Chamaerops root trimming Q

Post by Delboy »

I've noticed my big Chammie Arborescens in its 160ltr pot has roots trailing out of the drainage holes.

Will it be ok to trim these off? its on the patio right now as we move in a few months so im drying to keep the pot dryer as its blooming heavy.
fern Rob

Re: Potted Chamaerops root trimming Q

Post by fern Rob »

I should think the frost will burn them off.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Yes your probably right Rob, didn't think of that.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

The may air prune themselves if there's no contact with a wet floor or soil . Perhaps less of a shock than cutting them off , if the plant does it naturally.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

You can trim them off without problems if you wish!
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Delboy wrote:Yes your probably right Rob, didn't think of that.
It may be better for the plant, as if you cut them they will die further back.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I think I will leave them be, the rootball is huge the 160ltr pot is crammed full. I had to drag it 50' up the garden path so damaged most of the trailing roots in the process, but already they are about 3" out of the drainage holes again.

when I move I may see if I can plant it in the ground but it could be fun trying to get it out of the pot, its more than two of me :lol: :lol:

Anyone got any ideas the best way to move a 160ltr pot, i was going to rent a pallet truck but they want £50 for a day and i only need it for about 30 mins so reluctant to pay that much. I may buy some big casters and attach them to a board (dolly) and just hope they take the weight.
Last edited by Delboy on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Drag it again, or pallet lifter.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Delboy wrote: Anyone got any ideas the best way to move a 160ltr pot,
If 160l is too heavy for you Del, try reducing the friction by laying one half of an extension ladder on the ground and drag the pot along the rungs either by hand or by tying a rope around the pot and pull. Metal ladders are all the better as less friction than wood.
No point putting your back out.. icon_thumleft
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

It was ok dry, problem I have is the pot is a bit wider than the passage between the houses (were a mid terrace) so it takes some heaving to get it thru and right now the soil is soaked so its a lot heavier.

I've moved it around the garden a few times so on flat ground it's ok but the house we are moving to has decking from the side of the house and its raised about a foot so no way can I lift it but may use your ladder trick....nice one.

Right now it's got a cover over the soil and I've raised it off the ground a bit so hopefully it will drain.
multim

Post by multim »

I think that it's trying to tell you that it would like to be planted!
Perhaps you could ask a friendly garden centre to lend you a large plant pot mover - if they have one.
Something like this..............
Attachments
Heavy plant mover from Architectural Plants
Heavy plant mover from Architectural Plants
Barrow_4.jpg (109.04 KiB) Viewed 3003 times
Arlon Tishmarsh

Delboy wrote:may use your ladder trick....nice one.
Another method i use is bulk sand / gravel bags. Slide a bag under the pot like a blanket and tug it along with the handles of the bulk bag. Always does the trick, uphill, downhill , in me ladies chamber................ icon_thumright
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Good idea that Mark.

That truck looks the business, unfortunately ive not seen anything like it in the GC around here.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
Delboy wrote:may use your ladder trick....nice one.
Another method i use is bulk sand / gravel bags. Slide a bag under the pot like a blanket and tug it along with the handles of the bulk bag. Always does the trick, uphill, downhill , in me ladies chamber................ icon_thumright
I agree with Arlon the bulk bag works a treat. Go and see your nearest friendly builder.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

That will be the bro in law ;)