large palm trees UK,discussion topic.

billdango

large palm trees UK,discussion topic.

Post by billdango »

We need for future reference a discussion topic on the following palm trees from either forum members or any one else who knows where the largest and finest palm trees are in their general area.

This can build into a useful dossier of information for all of us forum members and the general public who may be interested.

Pictures of the palms in question must accompany the discussion and must give the date and if possible the locality of the palm trees.

I have included a list below of the hardiest palms that may or may not be found in forum members gardens or parks or private collections.

As Dave has stated none of these palms should be tiddly ones or grown in pots but must be at least 3 metres tall if possible.

Any pictures taken this year will prove that the palm in question has come through the last 3 hard winters.

The list,

T fortuni.
T wagnerianus.
w robusta.
B capitata
B armata.
P canariensis.
J chilensis.
b eriospatha.
R hystrix?

PLus any other possibilities grown outside.

good luck everyone,
billdango icon_thumleft
Rob S

Re: large palm trees UK,discussion topic.

Post by Rob S »

I agree and think we need a seperate thread for each species for easy reference!
billdango

Post by billdango »

Rob S wrote:I agree and think we need a seperate thread for each species for easy reference!

Thanks Rob S"

I forgot to mention that in my post..

billdango icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

Trachicarpus fortunei thread, where is it Bill, or has it still to be created?

I hav'nt done it cus its your Idea.

:mrgreen:
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

may i suggest geotagged photos on flickr?

if everyone uploads their local palms or anything else tropical then there will be a plethora of pictures to browse

I have just set up a group called HTUK on flickr to see if this works

visit http://www.flickr.com/groups/htuk/ and join the group, then you can upload photos, geotag their locations so you will have a map with the photos on it

if everyone add tags to their images such as 'palm' or whatever then you can narrow down your searches to specifics

give it a go, looks good
kata

Post by kata »

I won't speak for others but my perference is I like to see the Images here.

Flickr is just another site to register at and then visit.

icon_cheers
billdango

Post by billdango »

I will let the members of this forum decide on the best way to do this but any dossier on these seperate palms must be easy of access with an easy to remember headings...

That saves having to trawl through dozens of back posts and trying to remember who's post it was and the name of it,

Maybe I'm just getting old and forgetful But I was looking for a post done last year on palm trees and in spite of racking my brain I just could'nt remember where it was or the name heading of the post.

It would have been so much easier if I could have typed in Phoenix canariensis_CIDP and got all the pictures and discussions up front then just went down the posts till I got what I was looking for.

Anyway the Washington palms heading done by Dave is a step in the right direction and I found it very interesting and informative.

Rgds billdango icon_sunny
billdango

Post by billdango »

kata wrote:Trachicarpus fortunei thread, where is it Bill, or has it still to be created

Anyone can do it if they want but I will leave it up to Dave to make any decisions on this but whatever happens I am sure it will come out well.

rgds billdango icon_thumleft
billdango

Post by billdango »

Dave had the best heading of [WHO KNOWS OF LARGE WASHINGTONIA PALMS IN THE UK] so we could probly use the same headings on all the palms in my list.

Like [WHO KNOWS OF LARGE TRACHYCARPUS PALMS IN THE UK] and so on down the list.

I think even I can remember that okay?

billdango icon_sunny
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

billdango wrote:The list,

T fortuni.
T wagnerianus.
Remember 'Wagnerianus' is just a cultivar group of Trachycarpus fortunei icon_thumright
kata

Post by kata »

Oh is it, thanks Conifers!

Thanks Bill, I can't say I will ever see a huge Trachicarpus f as mine is not that big at 9 years but I do look forward to seeing others.

icon_cheers
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

billdango wrote:
kata wrote:Trachicarpus fortunei thread, where is it Bill, or has it still to be created

Anyone can do it if they want but I will leave it up to Dave to make any decisions on this but whatever happens I am sure it will come out well.

rgds billdango icon_thumleft
I'm not so confident, in fact when i posted a whole thread on big Px Canariensis growing in London a while back on the EPS forum, most of which were widely unknown, it had dissapointingly little interest!
billdango

Post by billdango »

Sorry to read about the post you did on the EPS about CIDPs? and they showed little interest.

On this forum it would have been of great interest to all of us who grow palm trees.

Maybe we are not good enough for the EPS as most of us are still learning.

Thats their loss. icon_thumbdown

billdango :(
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Rob S wrote:
I'm not so confident, in fact when i posted a whole thread on big Px Canariensis growing in London a while back on the EPS forum, most of which were widely unknown, it had disappointingly little interest!
billdango wrote:Sorry to read about the post you did on the EPS about CIDPs? and they showed little interest.

On this forum it would have been of great interest to all of us who grow palm trees.

Maybe we are not good enough for the EPS as most of us are still learning.

Thats their loss. icon_thumbdown

billdango :(
Rob, I 'cruise' between here and the EPS, I must admit that I read much much more than I contribute. But when I have the time I love contributing, especially on the palm threads where I feel I can add any experiences that I have had or just observations made.

I agree with the whole idea of this thread, suggested by Billdango, that threads locating the biggest palms around the country is a great idea. And if they are updated every year to show growth performance or setbacks caused by weather then it will, firstly be very interesting, and also will be inspirational to others that want to plant palms in similar parts of the country so they can see what is possible to grow where.

The idea of these threads is also a great way for people to get out there and take some photos of the palms they drive by regularly and to put them up for everyone else to see. There are some fantastic Chamaerops Humilis on one of my journeys that I will stop and photograph when the thread is created. I've never stopped and photographed them before, I have only admired them, but this will give me the excuse to stop my car and get out there! :lol:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

fieldfest wrote:may i suggest geotagged photos on flickr?

visit http://www.flickr.com/groups/htuk/ and join the group, then you can upload photos, geotag their locations so you will have a map with the photos on it
Will they show on Google Maps? or do they have to be uploaded to www.panoramio.com for that to work?
kata wrote:I won't speak for others but my perference is I like to see the Images here.

Flickr is just another site to register at and then visit.
If folk upload to Flickr et al for the benefit of the GeoTag they could then post an [IMG] tag link to show the image here too :)