large palm trees UK,discussion topic.

kata

Re: large palm trees UK,discussion topic.

Post by kata »

Rob, I 'cruise' between here and the EPS, I must admit that I read much much more than I contribute.
I am a member of course at EPS but rarely post due to lack of knowledge of palms, only two I know are the CI_DP and my beloved Trachicarpus f.

Anything else I just say nice things related to 'A' post, I can never relax there unlike here, too scared to say the wrong thing.. :(

Don't get me wrong, the people are nice, John is friendly enough but its a serious site, no lounge for chat and jokes etc.

It does what it was designed for.

Kristen, your too smart for me hun, why complicate things. I really have enough to do updating three sites, email. I don't want to wander all over the place creating an even bigger footprint.

Thanks anyway to you and F.F.

icon_cheers :lol:
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

There are some CIDPs in West Kirby and New Brighton, and there was one washingtonia. If I get the chance I'll get some pictures and post them on the relevant threads. Heading up that way on Saturday hopefully. There are some on old posts with these palms, so will be some nice comparisons.
call

Post by call »

If I go through ramsgate I will get some pics of the large Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's there icon_thumright
billdango

Post by billdango »

If it stops raining and we get a bit of sun I will take an updated picture of the St denys Phoenix canariensis_CIDP as its producing its 2nd set of flower spathes for this year.

Then either I or someone else can start a new Phoenix canariensis_CIDP thread to go with the Washingtonia thread.

billdango :D
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

I think this is a great idea.If it is going to work well,it has to be kept quite strictly to each variety of palm.Would it be viable for moderators to move or edit posts that don't keep to the subject? Also could Dave move previously posted pictures that suit this topic(problem is,you may end up with palms,that have expired in the meantime).

I am growing most of the palms,on the list,none of them are big enough,to post pics. yet, but it is a great source of inspiration to see pictures of large specimens from around the country.

I would like to see phoenix theophrasti added to the list.I know there won't be many large plants in the uk but I know there have been a few posted on this forum,in the past.Also don't forget chamaerops(you may have to lower the height restriction,for ceriferas).

I also think,the pictures should be posted directly on here.Often older posts have a link to pics. on an outside website,which don't exist anymore.

I can't wait to see the first 3m T.princeps posted :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Finally managed to get hold of Aidan, when not in a rush to do something or other.

His concern is if we are starting a topic where pics are held elsewhere, this has happened before, then at some point the images or directories are moved so the links don't work, making the topic useless. Also flickr Ts & Cs are that you handover all copyright and control of every image uploaded. Even if you delete them it only removes them from your view, not their server. This was highlighted when a family saw one of their holiday snaps on an advertising hoarding, investigations revealed the Flickr had sold the image to an ad company, which was covered by the Ts & Cs.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by fieldfest »

Kristen wrote:
fieldfest wrote:may i suggest geotagged photos on flickr?

visit http://www.flickr.com/groups/htuk/ and join the group, then you can upload photos, geotag their locations so you will have a map with the photos on it
Will they show on Google Maps? or do they have to be uploaded to http://www.panoramio.com for that to work?
dont know about google maps but they show up on the map of photos for that group, ( http://www.flickr.com/groups/htuk/pool/map?mode=group ) the ones I put on there I uploaded through flickr. doesnt look like its taking off though as only 2 people joined the group
Dave Brown wrote:Finally managed to get hold of Aidan, when not in a rush to do something or other.

His concern is if we are starting a topic where pics are held elsewhere, this has happened before, then at some point the images or directories are moved so the links don't work, making the topic useless. Also flickr Ts & Cs are that you handover all copyright and control of every image uploaded. Even if you delete them it only removes them from your view, not their server. This was highlighted when a family saw one of their holiday snaps on an advertising hoarding, investigations revealed the Flickr had sold the image to an ad company, which was covered by the Ts & Cs.
not sure if people would be bothered with flickr stealing a picture of a plam tree. some might
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

fieldfest wrote:not sure if people would be bothered with flickr stealing a picture of a plam tree. some might
Where are they going to find a pic of a plam tree? icon_scratch

:lol: