Phoenix canariensis?

timj17

Phoenix canariensis?

Post by timj17 »

Hi Everyone,

I bought this palm earlier in the year, sold as a Phoenix Canariensis (for £50 which I thought was pretty good). The more I look at it it's very different from my other Phoenix Canariensis and others I see around.

It has generally stiffer leaves with more tightly packed spiky bits and a powdery blue/green finish. Also has lethal spikes around the base! What do you think, could it be a theophrasti, dactylifera or a bit of a mixture!?

Excuse the long grass!
can.jpg
Tightly packed spiky bits
casn3.jpg
See below for comparison with a potted Canariensis I have (on the left). The potted palm has more glossy green leaves.
photo 1.JPG
The Codfather

Re: Phoenix canariensis?

Post by The Codfather »

Looks like a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP...to me....sorry.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
kata

Post by kata »

I agree its a CI_DP Tim

:mrgreen:
ash101uk

Post by ash101uk »

One of my DIY store Phoenix canariensis_CIDP has put out really spiky leaves this year. Much more spikes than the other 2 I have.

I had put this down to the leaves being grown in a uk climate. Just my thoughts, but interested what others think.
call

Post by call »

the soft green leaves are grown indoors or under cover It wont be long until they start putting out harder stiffer leaves icon_thumright
timj17

Post by timj17 »

I'm quite happy with a CIPD! Actually hoping it wasn't a Dactylifera, as I believe that although rated the same they need a hotter dryer climate than we generally have. I guess there is quite a bit of variation within the Phoenix genus.

I recently bought 1000 Dactylifera seeds because they were so cheap (I can't resist a bargain) and now have probably near 1000 seedlings mass planted in pots and buckets - no idea what I'm going to do with them!
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

timj17 wrote:I'm quite happy with a CIPD!
Canary Island Police Department? ;)
timj17 wrote:I recently bought 1000 Dactylifera seeds because they were so cheap (I can't resist a bargain) and now have probably near 1000 seedlings mass planted in pots and buckets - no idea what I'm going to do with them!
Grow them on a bit more and guerrilla plant them in sheltered spots in parks etc. icon_thumright
timj17

Post by timj17 »

Good Idea, I'll give it a go. I'll just have to watch out for the Canary Island Police Department in case they want their plants back!
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Well i think it is Phoenix Dactylifera or possibly a hybrid with Px Canariensis which is easily possible! Wait to see if it suckers i guess!
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

Hi Tim.It looks like a phoenix theophrasti to me.The spikes would back that up as well.Nice plant whatever.
timj17

Post by timj17 »

I think there must be a bit of Dactylifera or Theophrasti in there somewhere (or both). Other established local Canariensis in Paignton and Torquay still have glossy green coloured leaves.

The spikes seem to be particularly vicious. When I bought and tried to get it in the car one went deep into the fleshy bit between thumb and index finger. There was some colourful language and it nearly got left in the car park.