LARGE BUTIA CAPITATA PALMS IN THE UK.

billdango

Re: LARGE BUTIA CAPITATA PALMS IN THE UK.

Post by billdango »

I have got a 12 foot butia in my back garden but because its buried amongst all my other palm trees I can,t get a picture of it of any use for this thread.

But it was bought from the palm center as a 2 foot tiddly a while back [1998 I think] and has never been protected except in its first year in the ground.

It is still in perfect condition and I only tied the leaves up together in the severe winter of 2010.

If I can find some way to get a decent picture of it I will not hesitate to post it on the forum.

billdango icon_thumleft
Axel

Post by Axel »

Rob S wrote:Yes the Hampton Butia(Yatay?) was bought as a large plant but has still put on a fait bit of size and has been there for quite a few years now! Hard to tell from that pic Axel but i would have a guess that it's Odorata(Capitata), what do you think? There's a nice large Butia in Notting Hill which i posted a pic off on the EPS forum last summer however i recently lost most of the pics on my hard drive so can't re-upload i'm afraid and the plant is not visible on Street View!

Hi Rob,

yes the strawberry vale seems odorata to me as well.
Your larger butia might be yatay indeed and i love that palm/trunk. I hope it will develop some larger fronds in the years to come. Beauty. The one in notting hill between the buildings is equally great and has the larger fronds (but is perhaps odorata?)
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

A nice Butia growing in Knightsbridge, West London
Butia
Butia
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Located in Egerton Cresent, the Butia has a perfect microclimate. (Note the superb Phoenix canariensis_CIDP nearby).
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

GREVILLE wrote:Located in Egerton Cresent, the Butia has a perfect microclimate. (Note the superb Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP nearby).
Yes Greville the Phoenix is certainly one of the biggest and best in London, pic of it also taken yesterday in the Large Px thread!