Chamaedorea metallica

David York

Chamaedorea metallica

Post by David York »

My thirty year old C. metallica which I have decided to air layer. The tallest of the 3 stems is the pinnate variant, which is rare as hen's teeth!
Attachments
IMG_2182 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2183 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2184 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2185 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2186 (Medium).JPG
Vulneratus Non Victus - Wounded But Never Beaten
Half Hardy

Re: Chamaedorea metallica

Post by Half Hardy »

Impressive plant David. I have only ever seen seedlings before.Not a very large plant,for thirty years growth is that because it's in a pot,or are they known for slow growing? That pinnate stem is nearly as rare as your posts :) .
David York

Post by David York »

They are naturally fairly slow growing, but if grown in poor light (like mine) for much of its life, then growth rate is very slow. For the last 15 years, it has been given just enough water to survive, and a weak feed every 6 weeks or so to keep it healthy, in an attempt to restrict growth. Otherwise it might have been 6 feet or more by now.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Is that radiator on?
David York

Post by David York »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Is that radiator on?
No it isn't. But even if it was, it wouldn't matter as the palm was merely placed there to be photographed. It normally resides in spot with poorer light than that.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Very nice palm David icon_thumright how long will it take to layer ?

I had a small one from a seedling, which got to around 1ft tall in 5 years. I had it in the conservatory but lost it after other plants hid it from view and it didn't get watered for a whole winter :roll: Kept it for a year after in case it resprouted, but no joy.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by David York »

Not altogether sure how long Dave. I've only recently set it up, but I was thinking springtime perhaps.

I've not actually done it with a palm before, but I have with woody plants, which can take 3 to 6 months.
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Mine , with a single stem, has thrown out about four new leaves this year and there is a new one coming. I have had mine for six years or so but it is only 2ft high. Let us know how you get on with the air layering.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

What are you doing it for?
Will the. Win stem re sprout when it is separated.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

My old specimen is quite happy outside in deep shade until the frosts. However, I keep forgetting to protect from slugs and those interesting leaves get chewed every year :(
David York

Post by David York »

fern Rob wrote:What are you doing it for?
Will the. Win stem re sprout when it is separated.
I suppose it's experimental as much as anything. But also, I just fancy a change.

C. metallica isn't a suckering palm, so once the stems are cut, the lower section will die.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I don't see what you are going to attchive by cutting the plant. It sounds like they are uncommon and slow growing.
David York

Post by David York »

Because over time the stems have grown quite tall, I just fancied starting again with stemless plants. I've had the plant for around 30 years and have become a bit tired of it as it stands. Should anybody fancy buying it from me though, I would consider that option too!
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

As not many people have Chamy Metallica I thought I would put up a pic of my baby, only had it for about six years but it is a decent specimen.
David York

Post by David York »

Yes that's a nice specimen Clive. Clearly getting more TLC than mine.

Mine receives minimal light and minimal food and water. It has been in that tiny pot for over 20 years. They can look really lush when pampered a little.