A Christmas miracle! Jubea Chilensis germination.

Clive60

Re: A Christmas miracle! Jubea Chilensis germination.

Post by Clive60 »

DPG, how do you maintain 30/35c constant under the stairs?, I presume you have a boiler or something or heat a mat?
I will need that heat when I (eventually) get my Nanorrhops seeds.
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

Jubs a good un... icon_thumleft
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Yes the boiler is in there. I have placed the pots on top of the boiler to get extra heat. They each have selsthane (sorry spelt wrong) bags over the top of each bag. This retains moisture and warmth. :-D
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

doncasterpalmguy123 wrote:Yes the boiler is in there. I have placed the pots on top of the boiler to get extra heat. They each have selsthane (sorry spelt wrong) bags over the top of each bag. This retains moisture and warmth. :-D
Seems to be a good germination technique . icon_thumleft
doncasterpalmguy123

the juabea is painfully slow growing though it's been pushing out the root for some time now and it's only about 5mm long.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

It really does not make sence to me what advantage a plant has by growing so slow, it's more likly to get damaged isn't it?
doncasterpalmguy123

Haha my thoughts exactly surely survival of the fastest should apply. By rights this palm because of its slow growth should have became extinct through overgrazing of llamas in their natural Chilean mountain home :lol:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

doncasterpalmguy123 wrote:Haha my thoughts exactly surely survival of the fastest should apply. By rights this palm because of its slow growth should have became extinct through overgrazing of llamas in their natural Chilean mountain home :lol:
Im surprised it isn't extinct, does it grow faster in the wild? thats the question. there must be something that stops it getting eaten etc.
doncasterpalmguy123

Well i suppose we can only ponder on this subject. Im glad they're not though because they're truly wonderful palms!