easy palm?

James1991

easy palm?

Post by James1991 »

Is there a such thing as an easy palm to germinate that is fast growing and hardy? i cant afford to buy a big one
jungle jas

Re: easy palm?

Post by jungle jas »

James1991 wrote:Is there a such thing as an easy palm to germinate that is fast growing and hardy? i cant afford to buy a big one
In a word no. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Washie will give you the first two but not the last. icon_thumright
David York

Post by David York »

Washingtonias germinate very quickly. I genuinely have had them sprout overnight!

One of the fastest growing palms, and quite hardy too.
Vulneratus Non Victus - Wounded But Never Beaten
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Trachycarpus Fortunei is probably the only answer to this question although the term 'fast growing' is open to debate!
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

What is your budget as they take years to get to what you might call a decnet size?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

The best I can think of,is Trachycarpus nova. Archontophoenix are quite easy to germinate and quick to grow but they are not hardy.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

If you can rephrase your question to 'fast-growing and half-hardy' then Washingtonia would be the closest .answer
James1991

Post by James1991 »

Tom2006 wrote:What is your budget as they take years to get to what you might call a decnet size?
as little as possible. i have a very low paid job :lol:
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Washingtonia and Suffolk are not good combinations in the long term i'm afraid!
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

James, I know you poor farmers don't earn a lot, I used do it myself when I was younger. :lol: Whilst you are waiting for your seeds to germinate and grow you could buy yourself a small Butia Eriospatha which are fast growers but a pig to germinate. Try and get a split leaf one from eBay, I think I paid £15.00 for one and in two or three years it has a spread of 6 foot and a height of over 4 foot. If you can't find one, Vick on EPS sells small ones for a fiver. You can find him on Daves Palm Page. In my opinion they are hardier than Washies but almost as quick. Unless you live in a frost hollow? What sort of temperatures do you get in the winter? icon_thumright
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Mule palm, a man made hybrid between the butia palm and the queen palm. This combines the hardiness of butias and very fast growing characteristics of the queen palm. Quite rare from what i can tell but worth a punt i reckon. :lol:
James1991

Post by James1991 »

haha if i owned the farm id be rich :). where i live now its impossible to plant anything outside. its very windy and last winter i had -16! it even killed all my sarracenia purpurea (the bullet proof pitcher)

thanks for all the replies! i now have a lot more research to do :)
James1991

Post by James1991 »

also meant to say im moving soon so new garden to play in (100% tropical)
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Highly recommend hardy palms if you want to buy a larger plant.
http://www.hardy-palms.co.uk/category.asp?section=16
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

fern Rob wrote:Highly recommend hardy palms if you want to buy a larger plant.
http://www.hardy-palms.co.uk/category.asp?section=16
DId i read that correctly??? 10 percent discount for members of hardytropicalsuk!!!! Im stunned fern rob have you bought from here before? icon_salut icon_salut icon_salut icon_salut