Hairy
71%
Stripped
10%

Total votes: 52

cordyman

Re: Trachycarpus fortunei trunk types Survey

Post by cordyman »

is it a trait of wagnerianus to have shaggy trunks? mine have much more hair than the fortunei.

I'm wondering if the shaggy fortunes have heavy waggy cross mix/traits?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

cordyman wrote:is it a trait of wagnerianus to have shaggy trunks? mine have much more hair than the fortunei.

Not noticed my Waggies being more hairy, so may be that your waggie has a hairy trait, rather than a trait of a waggie.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by cordyman »

Dave Brown wrote:
cordyman wrote:is it a trait of wagnerianus to have shaggy trunks? mine have much more hair than the fortunei.

Not noticed my Waggies being more hairy, so may be that your waggie has a hairy trait, rather than a trait of a waggie.

In fact thinking about it my Fortune from Nigel @ hardypalms is hairier than majority of my other fortunes

benbaron

Post by benbaron »

Can I change my vote to shaggy - I looked at them this weekend and actually noticed they are pretty hairy - alot more than the pics showing the hairy ones. Although they seem to have lost a bit of shaggyness around the bottom 4' or so...probably due to weather and birds.....
Doc86

Post by Doc86 »

Dave Brown wrote:This is Trunky with a thicker trunk. Last stripped in 2008, from memory. Needs 3 feet of fibre taken off over the next few weeks, but not while an easterly is blowing, as windchill is terrible up a ladder.
I don't suppose you will be doing a video of this when you strip the rest? I would certainly appreciate it if you did. I can't find much in the way of tutorials especially videos. I am thinking of doing this in the future but am a little bit nervous about it :)
grungerman

Post by grungerman »

I like both stripped and hairy. Stripped do like more tropical to me, so i decided to have few trachycarpusees with hair, and few bare trunked.
Attachments
IMG_20131001_125830.jpg
IMG_20131001_130030.jpg
IMG_20131001_130146.jpg
IMG_20140321_112333.jpg
IMG_20140321_112701.jpg
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

grungerman wrote:I like both stripped and hairy. Stripped do like more tropical to me, so i decided to have few trachycarpusees with hair, and few bare trunked.

Wow ! great garden drunken_smilie1 Have you got a garden blog, or tour? don't recall seeing it. Those trachys are gorgeous!
grungerman

Post by grungerman »

Thank you Cordyman ! :)
The garden is not finished yet, I want to complete main jobs first and then take some tour-pictures.
I hope I will be able to share my garden with all of us later this year.