71%
Stripped
10%

Total votes: 52

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Trachycarpus fortunei trunk types Survey

Post by Dave Brown »

There seem to be 2 main trunk fibre types that occur in Trachycarpus fortunei naturally (to my knowledge). These are what I call 'Shaggy' where the long fibres completely obscure cut petioles, and 'Hairy', which I think is the most common where the cut petioles are visible above the fibre. There is a third which is not natural and that is the fibre is stripped away leaving a scarred bare trunk.

I want to start a survey on what types of trunk members have. There are 3 questions..... Shaggy, Hairy, Stripped. and you have the option to tick 1 to 3 of them. The idea is to build up a profile of ratio of each.

I will start it off with a pic of those that I have so you can tell which category yours fit into.
Attachments
2014-01-26 10-47-46 Trachycarpus trunk types.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Trachycarpus fortunei trunk types

Post by kata »

Hairy,

Thank God its not the third. At some point in its life I will get my Gardner to strip it because they look attractive like that..

:mrgreen:
multim

Post by multim »

kata wrote:Hairy,

Thank God its not the third. At some point in its life I will get my Gardner to strip it because they look attractive like that..

I don't get what you mean? Perhaps it's a marmite thing!
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Answered for the biggest i have dave, my other 3 which are small ones should shoot up for the sky a bit this year they have been planted 3 years now, so i will see, i will come back to the topic in a few years when proper trunk has formed on them.
kata

Re: Trachycarpus fortunei trunk types Survey

Post by kata »

I don't get what you mean? Perhaps it's a marmite thing!
No, its not a marmite thing.. :(

We were asked to choose, I chose hairy but wrote they look attractive/nicer stripped. For that I would at the right time get the gardener to do that.

Still not understanding?...ask again.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Voted in my hairy beast which brought my ratio up to 68%. This must be par for the course because I can't recall ever seeing a shaggy Trachytrunk in thirty years of growing TF. I've seen a few stripped including some BIG ones for sale at a price that would strip your bank balance :shock:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I have a few shaggy type's with about 4ft trunks & they are my favourite type!, there so hairy you could put roller's in them :lol: , the hairy type's are probably the most common version but are also attractive, I also love the stripped look as they add something very tropical looking to uk garden's karl.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I love the stripped look of the trunks to, i can't not wait to try it on mine. :-)
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

The shaggy look is the ultimate for me, i've noticed my waggys are more shaggy than my fortunes as a whole. Majority of my fortunes are hairy.

After seeing the post when Ste stripped a Trachycarpus and it went wrong I don't think i'd even try the stripped look :shock: :shock: :shock:
samj

Post by samj »

I've seen one where its trunk has started to split open due to it being stripped. Is that a common occurrence?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

samj wrote:I've seen one where its trunk has started to split open due to it being stripped. Is that a common occurrence?
Never heard of that, and wouldn't think it was due to stripping unless they used a chainsaw.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by multim »

kata wrote:Hairy,

Kata,
What I didn't understand was your opening words, 'Thank God it's not the third' which alluded to the image of the stripped trunk and your dislike for such.
kata

Post by kata »

Oh right, thanks Multim!

That stripped (third) It looked a right mess.

Its always best to get the expert in and mine is a long way off needing stripping. It gets plenty new leaf growth but not so much trunk growth.

Maybe I should feed it. :lol: :lol:

icon_cheers
multim

Post by multim »

Yes, image #3 did rather make it look a bit rough around the edges - time will improve its looks.
The best stripped trunks on a Trachycarpus I've seen are at Heligan.
Attachments
TF BARK.JPG
TF HELLIGAN.JPG
kata

Post by kata »

Both your Images looks great Multim,

When I asked the supplier he said it was nine (three years ago) , It spent time in a pot. I repotted it on arrival cus pot was broke. I then left it two years till last year when I got the Gardner to plant it.

I cannot say with honesty its been well fed.
trachicarpusf.jpg
icon_sunny