date palm

James1991

date palm

Post by James1991 »

i went to b&q and bought a small date palm and red cordyline for £5! just wondering how hardy these are? even if they are not its got to be worth a punt :lol:
jungle jas

Re: date palm

Post by jungle jas »

I shouldn't think the date palm will survive without some serious protection, but the cordyline may stand a few degrees of frost. Do you know what type it is? Does it have narrow or broad leaves. icon_thumright
flounder

Post by flounder »

The date palm I take it is phoenix canariensis, which will need protecting over winter....until too big and the cordyline would probably be red star, which as Jas said will take a couple of degrees below but will prefer a sheltered, sunny position
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I've had my red star Cordyline for 2 years now, it was put in a tub on the doorstep as summer bedding and is still going strong. Lowest I've had is -7.6 last winter so being close to the house is obviously helping it along. It's Very slow growing it probably needs to go in the ground.
The Phoenix canariensis_CIDP I bought the same year is also going strong with just a light fleece wrap for winter.

They are not fully hardy here but so far so good.