Small B&Q Cycad, to get or not to get?

doncasterpalmguy123

Small B&Q Cycad, to get or not to get?

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Hey everyone, the weathers warming, the birds are singing and I've got my purchasing head on again. :lol:

In B&Q there are some small cycads for nearly 13 quid. However they are in the indoor/houseplant section. So i was just wondering if they are likely to be cycas revoluta or maybe an un-hardy species. If so i might as well not bother, because i do want it outside. :D
kata

Re: Small B&Q Cycad, to get or not to get?

Post by kata »

Go back and take photo please DPG,

£13.00 is cheap as chips and worth over wintering if room allows...regardless what it is.

icon_cheers
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

I bought one a couple of weeks ago, really good size for the money. And for £13, not much to lose if it doesn't overwinter outdoors. Intend to keep mine potted for a year or two so will be back in the GH before the frosts.

Pretty sure they are revoluta, doubt B&Q would get a deal on anything more unusual, but then again I'm no cycad expert so can't tell you either way!
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

B&Q have sold cycas revoluta for a good few years - so odds are it is cycas revoluta that you have. They were £15 a few years ago.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

doncasterpalmguy123 wrote: So i was just wondering if they are likely to be cycas revoluta
Defo. I bought 3 last year . Try and pick one where the cataphyls are pushing out / more pronounced at the top of the caudex. Thats what i did and all three flushed .
doncasterpalmguy123

Awesome, thanks for your help guys. Im going again tomorrow as i know someone who can get 10 percent discount on wednesdays. :D so i'll update you all with a picture. I will deffs try and get one which looks like its ready to flush.

Regards, Dan. :D
Mowgley

Post by Mowgley »

I've seen these in my local B & Q too, though I'm going to wait abit longer before I get one.
No more room left in the GH and the missus has the plant alarm set on the back door so no more can get in!
kata

Post by kata »

No more room left in the GH and the missus has the plant alarm set on the back door so no more can get in!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

I bought one last summer from the indoor section in BQ. Its done sod all so far, so hopefully a flush this summer, good value though!
pdid

Post by pdid »

It's worth checking Ikea if you have one near you. I picked one up a few years ago with a small melon sized caudex for £16, it flushed last year and is probably the best looking plant in the greenhouse given the time of year.

Topic here: http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... ikea+cycas

Pic
IMG_20110630_194140 (1024x768).jpg
doncasterpalmguy123

Ok guys so here he or she is. Hope its good for nearly 12 quid. it was indoors so should i bring it inside or leave it in the conservatory???...is my next question. Tell me what you think. :D :D
Attachments
d1.jpg
d2.jpg
d3.jpg
d4.jpg
jcec1

Post by jcec1 »

In Doncaster, I would keep it in the conservatory all year. They need a bit of heat in summer (as well as moisture) to flush. Here in London mine flushes mid summer and the fronds get the chance to harden up before temperatures fall. I don't think there would be enough heat in summer in Doncaster to allow a cycad to fully flush.
doncasterpalmguy123

Thanks for the advice man, so it won't harm the plant going into the conservatory from an indoor environment? Surely it will be ok outside in summer, we usually have high's of 35C. :D
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

jcec1 wrote:In Doncaster, I would keep it in the conservatory all year. They need a bit of heat in summer (as well as moisture) to flush. Here in London mine flushes mid summer and the fronds get the chance to harden up before temperatures fall. I don't think there would be enough heat in summer in Doncaster to allow a cycad to fully flush.
One of mine flushed in the garden last year jcec and another one is starting to flush, they are both in the G/house looking healthy at the min, Maybe its because of the lovely summer and mild winter or i was just lucky :mrgreen: I live in Newcastle...
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Deedee wrote:
jcec1 wrote:In Doncaster, I would keep it in the conservatory all year. They need a bit of heat in summer (as well as moisture) to flush. Here in London mine flushes mid summer and the fronds get the chance to harden up before temperatures fall. I don't think there would be enough heat in summer in Doncaster to allow a cycad to fully flush.
One of mine flushed in the garden last year jcec and another one is starting to flush, they are both in the G/house looking healthy at the min, Maybe its because of the lovely summer and mild winter or i was just lucky :mrgreen: I live in Newcastle...
Mine has been fine outdoors all year and I live further north than Newcastle. There is a large one in a town inland from me that has been outdoors, if somewhat very sheltered by high walls for some years and is looking fine...better than mine. The fronds on mine are shorter than the pic above: perhaps the B&Q ones was grown in Spain or the like and then shipped to UK? Some fronds on mine have some yellowing from last springs late frosts but apart from that they seem hardy.