Where to buy a mature Chamaerops humilis

benbaron

Where to buy a mature Chamaerops humilis

Post by benbaron »

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a mature Chamaerops humilis (poss cerifera), at least 1m of trunk (maybe 1.5m). Anybody got any good places to purchase from (good also equals nicely priced). I don't want to go overboard on price but want a good sized tree..

Cheers
Ben
Last edited by benbaron on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
multim

Re: Where to buy a mature Chamearops humilis

Post by multim »

The Palm Centre have good mature examples of both. http://www.palmcentre.co.uk/.Chamaerops-humilis_CHU.htm
As they are very slow to grow and achieve a good sized trunk, they are expensive as you are buying the time to grow and transport costs associated therein. I would certainly recommend you splashing-out with the cash on a mature specimen. Unless of course, you are young, patient and prepared to wait 20+ years while it grows!
benbaron

Post by benbaron »

I do keep looking on there but they seem rather pricy for the size Im looking for - (although there are 2 that look splendid!)

Any other suggestions? (or potential sales dates at PC?) :)

Cheers
Ben
multim

Post by multim »

The Palm Centre usually have much more in stock than shown on the website. They have two sales a year, the Winter sale follows Christmas and the Summer sale, August Bank Holiday.
The Palm Centre is about 40 miles from me but it can take an hour to get there.........as the traffic can be a pain!
Although, I am usually am tempted to buy something when I do brave the traffic.
benbaron

Post by benbaron »

multim wrote:Summer sale, August Bank Holiday.
Summer sale could be the one I wait for then unless 1 pops up from elsewhere, I would imagine I will have moved house by then (fingers crossed) so will be looking to purchase after the move really.

Ive been once to the palm centre around 10 years ago when they still had the Trithrinaxs in peak condition - I was blown away by them...shame they are really pricey and not as hardy as made out :(
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

benbaron wrote:I'm in the market for a mature Chamearops humilis
Doesn't exist anywhere . . . but a search for Chamaerops humilis should be successful icon_thumright
benbaron

Re: Where to buy a mature Chamaerops humilis

Post by benbaron »

Conifers wrote: Doesn't exist anywhere . . . but a search for Chamaerops humilis should be successful icon_thumright
what you talking about ;) :oops:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

vales exotivs always have some bigger ones,and trevena cross in cornwall
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
multim

Post by multim »

Yes, you are better off waiting until you have a final planting spot. They don't re-establish as readily as Trachycarpus's.
How about this for a Trithrinax? Too big to fit in my car and I'm not brave enough to ask the price IF I had somewhere to plant it!
On my trips to Cornwall, I visit Trevena Cross 3 times a year and I don't recall seeing many, if any large trunked Chamaerops to compare with those at The Palm Centre. They do have large potted bushy one's though........not cheap either.
Attachments
22072013137.jpg
Huddy

Post by Huddy »

multim, where's that?
multim

Post by multim »

It's at http://www.tendercare.co.uk/index.htm
Last year, I had to tell them what it is, as they didn't know so I very much doubt if they even know the price.
It is big and has been there a while.
Huddy

Post by Huddy »

icon_thumleft
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

I don't know where you are in Lancashire but Gordon Riggs (Walsden) have had a large Chammy for sale for the last 2 or 3 years. It's a monster on a pallet with a price tag of £450.
benbaron

Post by benbaron »

JoelR wrote:I don't know where you are in Lancashire but Gordon Riggs (Walsden) have had a large Chammy for sale for the last 2 or 3 years. It's a monster on a pallet with a price tag of £450.
I havent seen that - I went not too long ago - I feel another trip in order ;)
pad199207

Post by pad199207 »

Apologies if im hyjacking the thread and all, but would anybody know any reliable tropical plant dealerships nurseries in Southern Ireland? Its like pulling teeth to find any on the internet. Such a shame theres no land-bridge between here and the UK. Delivery costs are sky high.

Cheers
Pad