Where to buy a mature Chamaerops humilis

phatplants

Re: Where to buy a mature Chamaerops humilis

Post by phatplants »

Checking out the Chamaerops on the Palm Centre website, I'm pretty interested in the 60/80cm trunked for £149 ex shipping. Is this a good price for the cost?
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

I'd try easy tropicals.com, huge range of large specimens at decent prices.... I bought a 1.8m tall butia capitata for £40 ish last September, real bargain. I did collect tho to save on carriage, they're based in near Macclesfield.... just bought a decent priced t.rex from there which I'm looking forward to planting...
benbaron

Post by benbaron »

phatplants wrote:Checking out the Chamaerops on the Palm Centre website, I'm pretty interested in the 60/80cm trunked for £149 ex shipping. Is this a good price for the cost?
I saw that but they look a bit skinny for my tastes - perhaps they have separated it from a bigger bunch?
multim

Post by multim »

After posting the link to The Palm Centre, I did rather like the look of a large 'Cerifera'. I phoned them first and all the large one's are gone! So I'm not sure what stock of C. Humilis they have..............I did send an e-mail enquiring about trunk sizes as the sizes shown on the website are a little vague if shown at all.
No reply as yet and I'm blowed if I'm going to drive there until I know for sure.
Don't you just hate a website which is not updated? :evil:
benbaron

Post by benbaron »

multim wrote:After posting the link to The Palm Centre, I did rather like the look of a large 'Cerifera'. I phoned them first and all the large one's are gone! So I'm not sure what stock of C. Humilis they have..............I did send an e-mail enquiring about trunk sizes as the sizes shown on the website are a little vague if shown at all.
No reply as yet and I'm blowed if I'm going to drive there until I know for sure.
Don't you just hate a website which is not updated? :evil:
Yes.....I also like the Cerifera - I had that down as a potential purchase.... :evil:

I'm considering importing one now.....
multim

Post by multim »

I've just received a reply as follows;
''Dear Sir

I have measured the ceriferas as follows:

· CHC-50 = 84cm girth and 55cm trunk height to base of palms. Price = £249.00

We have just had delivery of some larger ceriferas, which for some reason are cheaper:

· CHC-60 = 95cm girth and 50cm trunk height. Price = £195.00.''

So, there you have it...Fresh off the press!
Not terribly big, and not terribly cheap.
benbaron

Post by benbaron »

mmm from the sounds of them I think I will leave em and source an alternate elsewhere. I dont want a skinny short one, I want a big fat one with at least 1m of trunk - ideally multi trunked to give it some wow factor. Will have to see what I can get imported I think.
multim

Post by multim »

Exactly! I have seen big one's there......with a big red SOLD label on.
Shame they don't get bigger sizes in stock as they obviously sell well.
I will show you what a 55cm trunk and bushy cerifera looks like in a 90l pot and then planted.
Sure, it looks good but doesn't have that 'wow' factor of a tall trunked version.
Attachments
P1010297.JPG
P1010300.JPG
Last edited by multim on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
benbaron

Post by benbaron »

http://www.bigplantnursery.co.uk/Chamae ... ifera.html Has a nice looking smaller one on the size @£225 Id be looking for something bigger but its a start. Ive emailed him to see if he can do anything. Im not in a rush though so will be keeping my eyes open

cheers
Ben
multim

Post by multim »

Looking at the comparison of pot height/trunk height (Big Plant Nursery), I recon that it's a 50cm trunk. Striping-off the lower leaves will make it seem taller.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Why don't you give simon at amulree a phone?, I had a corker delivered a couple of years ago for less than £400!, it's planted out the front & has really bulked up, the main trunk is about 4ft but as thick as a telegraph pole :D , it had 5 trunk's & it was very stretched when first bought!, now there all compact.
jase

Post by jase »

benbaron wrote:mmm from the sounds of them I think I will leave em and source an alternate elsewhere. I dont want a skinny short one, I want a big fat one with at least 1m of trunk - ideally multi trunked to give it some wow factor. Will have to see what I can get imported I think.
I got this one on Saturday, it's 68 CM circ with 1 mtr of trunk, with two more small trunks at the base. I'm sure he's got some more there, give him a bell.

Ascol Drive Nurseries
in Knutsford
Phone: 01606 47694
Attachments
image.jpg
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

I really think that it's very important when buying any larger expensive plant to visit the nursery in person, look around and choose the one you like, and Chamaerops is no exception as i have seen as many stunning looking plants as i have weak and unatractive specimens both in the UK and in European nurseries and usually both priced similarly if part of the same batch!
benbaron

Post by benbaron »

karl66 wrote:Why don't you give simon at amulree a phone?, I had a corker delivered a couple of years ago for less than £400!, it's planted out the front & has really bulked up, the main trunk is about 4ft but as thick as a telegraph pole :D , it had 5 trunk's & it was very stretched when first bought!, now there all compact.

Hi Karl,

Will give him a shout - how about a pic of yours now ;)
benbaron

Post by benbaron »

jase wrote: I got this one on Saturday, it's 68 CM circ with 1 mtr of trunk, with two more small trunks at the base. I'm sure he's got some more there, give him a bell.

Ascol Drive Nurseries
in Knutsford
Phone: 01606 47694
How much Jase if you dont mind me asking?

cheers
Ben