Pots for Palms

Blairs

Pots for Palms

Post by Blairs »

Is this style of pot good for less hardy palms as it limits the amount of water the palm roots receives? I suppose you would need it to have a wide base so it is not walways blowing over?
Attachments
Palm.JPG
Adam D

Re: Pots for Palms

Post by Adam D »

Bit of a butter to get the palm out without destroying the pot though when it is time to pot them on!
multim

Post by multim »

You really don't want to put a palm in an 'Ali Baba' style pot, especially terracotta as you cannot pot-on the palm without breaking the pot and the palm will eventually break the pot anyway.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Good point AdamD and Multim. Such large pots would cost too much to break.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Another thing is that whilst they would restrict the amount of rainfall falling into them during the winter they would also take a lot longer to water during the summer for the same reason.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Isn't that Phoenix canariensis_CIDP on Ebay at the mo ?
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Isn't that Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP on Ebay at the mo ?
Yes it is the one in Cornwall on sale on ebay. The price caught my eye as it seemed high for what it is and the pot gave me an idea.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Blairs wrote:
Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Isn't that Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP on Ebay at the mo ?
Yes it is the one in Cornwall on sale on ebay. The price caught my eye as it seemed high for what it is and the pot gave me an idea.
Same thoughts myself. Last time i looked it was nearly £80............ :shock: That pot is totally useless for such a palm and a similar size palm itself would be many, many "happy meals " cheaper.
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

One of the best planters for a palm like that would be half a large reclaimed oak barrel.
Alsone

Post by Alsone »

If anyone wants some cheap pots at the moment, I found these at Poundstretcher:

http://www.poundstretcher.co.uk/product ... -4096.html

58cm Venetian style black plastic pot for £5.99!

They don't look too bad and aren't bad quality either.

Don't get me wrong, there are thicker ones out there, but they're perfectly strong and for the money are excellent value as a small tree pot.

I also managed to find a Stewart 90cm black plastic pot at my local garden centre for £29.99. So worth looking out for.