What is the growth rate of a mature Chammy?

Rob S

Re: What is the growth rate of a mature Chammy?

Post by Rob S »

multim wrote:
One of mine has also been planted out for around 20 years, was a small specimen with no trunk but has now around 5 feet of trunk! I have another that was planted out around 10 years ago already with about 3 feet of trunk now has between 6-7 feet of trunk, both in full sun so take from that what you will![/quote]

Nothing really to add apart from 5 feet of trunk in 20 years is normal whilst 4 feet in 10 years is extraordinary!
How about some images of this monster?[/quote]

Actually it may have been a little longer than 10 years, may have been 12-14, hard to remember exactly!
JamesFrond

Post by JamesFrond »

My mature multi trunk chamaerops humilis has put out between 6-7 fronds per trunk this year so far,it's very quick
simpleton2

Post by simpleton2 »

I wonder if cutting the side shoots encourages the main trunk of the plant to grow faster ?
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

simpleton2 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:05 am I wonder if cutting the side shoots encourages the main trunk of the plant to grow faster ?
Bound to, all the energy will go to one growing point. icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Trouble is, if you take the side shoots off and we have really low temperatures again, then you have no plant, but leaving the side shoots on, at least one or more will likely survive, so all is not lost.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.