Cycad watering.

jungle jas

Cycad watering.

Post by jungle jas »

I know some of you water your Cycads to get them to flush. How/what/when do you do it? Do you use warm or cold water. Thanks.
GaryW

Re: Cycad watering.

Post by GaryW »

I am very wary of this method of 'forced' flushing. In hot weather a healthy cycad will enjoy lots of water especially when about to/and during a flush. However to think flooding a cycad will magically cause it to flush is rubbish. It can cause a healthy cycad to burst into life after a rest period,yes, but in our climate it will only grow when warm and when it's ready. It will also kill a cycad that has lost its roots. if you're sure it's healthy and the fronds are dropping it's fine in warm weather. If you're not sure and the fronds are very upright or it has no leaves at all I would be cautious and check the root system. icon_salut
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Agree with Gary. I've never "flooded" mine and all of them flushed last year, numerous revoluta's, one circinalis and a rhumpii. If i remember correctly, only one failed to flush the year before. I added a Cycas media a few months ago and thats starting a flush now, as is one of the revoluta's. My larger Macrozamia moorei produces fronds throughout the growing season as they don't flush in the way other cycads do, its never been "flooded".
Cycads prefer excellent drainage, they hate water "puddled" around the roots (think succulents). I personally don't over water the top of the caudex for fear of crown rot.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Thanks for the info lads, I'll give it a miss then. icon_thumright